What is SLE:
SLE stand for systemic lupus Erythematosis. Lupus is an chronic auto immune disorder in which healthy tissues are attacked by body’s immune system resulting in persistence inflammation, affecting multiple organs of the body like joints, kidney, heart, brain, endocrine glands. Women are often much affected then men. Lupus is quite irritating disorder and reduce the quality of life of a person. Imflammation of different organs is commonly associated with lupus.
- Environmental factors
- Genetics also plays a major role
- Hormonal factors
- Ultra violet rays of sunlight
Sign and Symptoms:
- Butterfly shaped rashes on face
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Mouth ulcers
- Hair loss
- Joint pain, tender and swelling
- Sensitivity to sun
Ayurveda’s point of view regarding SLE:
Ayurveda concept behind Systemic Lupus Erythematosis is reduction in Vyadhikhashmatva (decrease in immunity). Here predominant dosha vata and pitta gets vitiated and that lead to improper formation of Dhatus (tissues). And as a result ojas (resisting power or immunity) is also decreased. And one other thing is concept of Agni (disgestive fire) which gets vitiated by the excessive doshas leads to interruption in the formation of Dhatus and blocking of the micro channels (srotas).
The treatment protocol in Ayurveda for SLE involves:
- Agni vardhan (increasing digestive fire)
- Panchkarma and sodhana (detoxification therapy)
- Oja vardhan herbs ( herbs that increase immunity)
- Rsayana therapy (rejuvenation)
Some important herbs for SLE:
- Turmeric (Curcumin): The active ingredient curcumin in Turmeric helps fights against auto immune disease like Lupus. curcumin is an anti-inflammatory agent that helpsin reducing swelling, pain, tenderness. Boil a teaspoon full of turmeric in a glass of a milk for 5 minutes and strain the milk and drink it.
- Ginger: ginger is a powerful home remedy to combat lupus. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties helsp in reducing swelling and pain in the joint. Drink ginger tear or add ginger into your diet.
- Tulsi (Holy Basil): The primary cause of Lupus is stress. Tulsi is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in fighting against infections, removes stress, increase immunity etc. A Cup of herbal tea enriched with Tulsi twice or thrice a day is effective or one can simply chew tulsi leaves.
- Giloy (Guduchi): Guduchi is the potent herbal drug for the management of SLE. It has anti-inflammatory properties and a good immunomodulator helps in making immune system strong. It also helps in removing toxin from the body. Giloy is also considered as a potent Rasyanic herb.
- Flax seeds: flax seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 is the best source to reduce inflammation in lupus. It improves kidney function in lupus patient. Near about 30 gram of flax seeds are required in a day.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, immuno-modulator properties of the herb used in it deals with all signs & symptoms related to SLE patients. Take 20ml juice with equal amount of water twice daily.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.