- Tinea corporis is a superficial fungal infection of the skin or superficial dermatophyte infection characterized by either inflammatory or non-inflammatory lesions on the skin.
- It can affect any part of the body excluding the hands and feet, scalp, face and beard, groin, and nails.
- It is commonly called ringworm because it presents with characteristic ring-shaped lesions no worm is involved.
- It is usually an itchy, circular rash with clearer skin in the middle.
- It is often usually spreads by direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person or animal.
- Mild ringworm treat with topical application of antifungal medications. For more-severe infections people may need to take antifungal pills for several weeks.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Signs and symptoms of ringworm may include:
- Scaly ring-shaped area present on the buttocks, trunk, arms and legs
- A clear or scaly area inside the ring,
- Slightly raised expanding rings
- A round, flat patch of itchy skin
- Overlapping rings
WHO GETS TINEA CORPORIS
Tinea corporis is found almost all parts of the world but particularly in hot humid climates. It is most commonly seen in children, young adults and all age groups can be infected including newborns.
Medical risk factors include:
- Previous or concurrent tinea infection
- Diabetes mellitus
Environmental risk factors include:
- Household crowding
- Infection of household members
- Keeping house pets
- Wearing occlusive clothing
- Recreational activities involving close contact with others including shared change rooms.
WHAT CAUSES TINEA CORPORIS
- It is predominantly caused by dermatophyte fungi of the genera Trichophyton and Microsporum.
- The anthropophilic species Tinea rubrum is the most common causative agent of tinea corporis worldwide.
Other species that may cause tinea corporis include:
- Tinea interdigitale
- Tinea tonsurans
- Microsporum canis (cats, dogs)
- Other zoonotic species including Tinea verrucosum (cattle), Tinea equinum (horses) and Tinea erinacei (hedgehogs).
- Tinea corporis infection is spread by the shedding fungal spores from infected skin to healthy person.
- Transmission is facilitated by a warm, moist environment or sharing of fomites including bedding, towels, and clothing.
- Dermatophyte infection on the skin such as tinea pedis can also be transferred.
- The incubation period is 1–3 weeks.
- Live in a warm climate
- Close contact with an infected person or animal
- Share things of infected person such as cloth, bedding or towels.
- Skin-to-skin contact in sports such as wrestling
- Wear tight or restrictive clothing
- Weak immune system.
DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS OF TINEA CORPORIS INCLUDES
- Pityriasis rosea
- Drug eruptions
- Nummular dermatitis
- Erythema multiforme
- Tinea versicolor
- Secondary syphilis.
- Discoid eczema
- Pityriasis rosea herald patch
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR TINEA CORPORIS
- Skin should be kept clean and dried thoroughly.
- Wearing loose light clothing in hot humid climates.
- Avoid close contact with infected individuals
- Avoid sharing of fomites.
- Examination of Household members and pets for the source of infection and required treatment to reduces the risk of re-occurance of infection.
- Localised tinea corporis infection may treat with topical antifungal medications such as imidazoles and terbinafine.
- If tinea corporis is involving a hair-bearing site oral antifungal treatment is usually required.
- Systemic therapy with oral agents are terbinafine and itraconazole for majocchi granuloma and tinea imbricate.
CAC TREATMENT FOR TINEA CORPORIS
- Detox Premium Powder – This is a herbo-mineral preparation that contains ingredients like Parwal Pishti, Giloy satv, Shukta Pishti, Kamdudha Ras, Gandhak Rasayan, etc.
- Parwal Pishti: This Pishti reduces inflammation, flaking, itching of the skin. The Pishti is composed of natural coral calcium processed with rose water.
- Shukta Pishti: It helps to balance the Pitta dosha in the body. All signs and symptoms related to Psoriasis patients are managed with this article.
- Giloy Satv: This satv is prepared from the herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia). The anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties of this herb deal with psoriasis easily.
- Kamdudha Ras: This herbal-mineral classical preparation balances Pitta dosha in the body.
- Gandhak Rasayana: This herbal preparation is used since ancient times for all types of skin disorders.
- Tal Sindoor: It contains ingredients like Shuddh parad, Aloe vera, Gandhak, etc that relieve redness in psoriasis patients.
- Akik Pishti: This Pishti reduces all types of Pitta related disorder hence it gives good results in psoriasis.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with plain water.
- Blood Purifier Syrup – It is ayurvedic syrup that consists of various natural ingredients such as Khadir Chall (Acacia catechu), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Harad (Terminalia bellirica), Baheda (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc. As the syrup purifies the blood by removing excess toxins it is very beneficial in maintaining proper circulation and improves the skin naturally.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Twak Tailam – Twak tailam is very effective for the skin as it deeply nourishes the tissues and improves the skin luster. The tailam is composed of yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), etc. The tailam supports skin health, helps in reducing uneven pigments, improves complexion, and helps in deep detoxification and blood purification without any side effects.
Method of Application – Apply over the affected area of the skin.
- Skin care tablet – skin care tablet is a pure ayurvedic formulation. It help to maintain the texture of your skin depending on the type of skin you have. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimb churna, Khadir chahal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Chopchini, Gandhak, Ajmoda that work very effectively on all skin types. Skin care is a blood purifying tablet. It cools and detoxifies the blood, increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimizes the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu – Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is an ayurvedic preparation mainly used for skin diseases. This tablet contains pure herbal ingredients such as Nimba(Azadirachta indica), Patola(Cucumis acutangulus), Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia), Vasa(Adhatoda vasica), etc. This tablet promotes detoxification and rejuvenation. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu tablet is a natural source of anti – oxidant. It promotes engender vibrant and healthy skin.
Recommended Dosage –Take 1 tablets twice a day with normal water.
- Panchsakar Churna – Panchsakar Churna is an ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – Saindhav Lavana (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki (Unripe fruits of Terminalia chebula). Panchsakar Churna is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. It relieves inflammation and useful in all types of skin problems.The powder has an anti – inflammatory properties due to which it can reduces the swelling.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful with lukewarm water at bedtime.
- Neem soap – Neem soap is natural and herbal handmade soap prepared from the standard extract of herb Neem (Azadirachta indica). Neem herb is widely used to cure acute to chronic Skin problems such as Pimples, Itching, Dryness, Blemishes, Dark spots, Pigmentation, Scars etc. It is such a wonderful herb that is easily available and shows Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Anti-microbial, Antifungal, Antiseptic properties. Neem cleanses the pores and protects the skin from various infections, Psoriasis, Eczema, Leprosy, Skin ulcers. It restores the health of damaged skin, tones skin complexion, prevents premature ageing, Wrinkles, Fine lines can protect against UV rays, and acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Method of Application – Neem Soap can be regularly used on face and body, as a bath soap.
- Trikatu Tablet – Trikatu Tablet helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This tablet is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body.
Recommended dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.