What are Ayurvedic and Panchakarma Treatment of Acne?
Acne is also termed as Acne vulgaris and is defined as a long term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with oil and dead skin cells from the skin. It commonly occurs in adolescence and it was noticed that around 80-90% of teenagers suffered in the western world.
While the condition is not life-threatening, it can cause significant psychological morbidity and lead to lifelong scarring. In some cases of facial disfigurement if left untreated. Acne generally starts around the age of 12 to 14 years but tends to manifest earlier in female patients. The average age of severity is 16 to 17 years in females and 17 to 19 years in male patients.
What are the Causes of Acne?
Generally, acne appears on the face, forehead, chest, upper back and shoulders because these areas of skin have the most oil (sebaceous) glands. The most common causes are –
- Excess production of oil
- Bacteria build up in pores
- Excess activity of a type of hormone
- Humidity or exposure to dust
- Hormonal changes in both men and women
- Accumulation of dead skin cells in pores
- Certain medications, such as certain birth control pills or corticosteroids
- Excessive intake of diet that is rich in refined sugars or carbohydrates, such as bread and chips
What are the Symptoms of Acne?
While whiteheads and blackheads are the most common lesions seen in acne, but symptoms can vary from person to person. Inflammatory lesions are more likely to cause scarring of your skin. These include:
- Formation of papules – These are small, red, raised bumps caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles.
- Formation of pustules – These are small red pimples that have pus at their tips.
- Formation of nodules – Nodules is solid, often painful lumps beneath the surface of your skin.
- Formation of cyst – Cysts are large lumps found beneath your skin that contains pus and are usually painful.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Acne?
According to Ayurveda, Acne is termed as ‘Yauvan Pidika,’ and is believed to be a manifestation of an aggravated Pitta dosha.
Good health is considered to be a perfect state of balance between Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. Acne is caused when there is an aggravation of pitta dosha, which acts under the skin and leads to heated toxins, further breaking out as acne.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Acne?
Ayurveda has a slightly different perspective than modern medicines. Ayurveda, the natural treatment, makes the connection between acne, impaired digestion, and a build-up of toxicity in the body. Numerous herbs are available in Ayurveda that is proven to the best for all types of skin, some of the common are neem, manjistha, aloe vera, turmeric, etc.
Hence, Chandigarh Ayurved Centre had made a wonderful kit that includes 6 products that are very effective in curing acne of its root cause. Name of the products are – Neem soap, Twak detox powder, Twak churna, Aloe vera juice, Aloe vera gel, and Panchatikta ghrita guggulu. The kit is purely herbal and mainly made to pacify the Pitta dosha and can be used by every individual of any age.
ALL PRODUCTS DESCRIPTION IN DETAIL:
1) Neem Soap –
Neem herb is widely used to cure acute to chronic skin problems. It is such a wonderful herb that is easily available and contains many medicinal properties. Neem soap is natural and herbal handmade soap prepared from the extract of neem that protects skin from various infections. It restores the health of damaged skin and acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Method of Application – Use for daily bathing purposes.
2) Twak Detox Powder –
Twak detox powder is very beneficial in curing acne by normalizing the digestive system and prevents the aggravation of pitta dosha. The powder is composed of tal sindoor, gandhak rasayan, parwal pishti, sudhyog tablet, jahar mohra, giloy satv, moti pishti, etc. The ingredients reduce the formation of whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
3) Twak Churna –
Twak churna is a mixture of two essential herbs – Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) and Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) that are the best pitta and kapha pacifiers. The churna provides glowing complexion to the skin and maintains the secretion of oil glands. By regular use of churna it reduces almost all the signs and symptoms associated with acne and provides healthy and charming skin.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.
4) Aloe Vera Juice –
Aloe Vera juice has multiple benefits to recover healthy skin as well as body. It is the best immunomodulator that prevents the skin from various bacteria. Intake of juice may help to reduce the frequency and appearance of acne. As it is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins that may provide a glowing and charming effect to the skin.
Recommended Dosage – Take 15 – 30 ml twice daily with an equal amount of water.
5) Aloe Vera Gel –
Aloe Vera Gel helps in pacifying Pitta and Vata dosha thus provides a cooling and a calming effect to the skin. The gel is formed from the pure extract of herb Aloe Vera and the mixture of rose petals. By the combination of both herbs it acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial thus reduces redness, inflammation, the appearance of lines and wrinkles, pimples, acne, etc.
Method of application– Gently apply over the affected area of the skin.
6) Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu –
The tablet cures almost all the skin problems by pacifying aggravated doshas and helps in recovering the normal skin. In the case of acne, it prevents excessive oil secretions and reduces the formation of whiteheads, blackheads, etc. The tablet is composed of Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia), Gajapippali (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), etc. The tablet is Tridoshahara, thus is very effective in maintaining the hormonal level in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Acne?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers the best and easiest ways to cure acne with Mukha Lepam and Fruit mukha lepam. The therapies are done by experienced therapists and are proven in having good results.
Mukha lepam – In this, a medicated paste prepared from the best herbs & applied on face that keeps your facial skin healthy.
Fruit mukha lepam – In this Lepam, fruits paste is applied over your face for maintaining natural glow in the skin.
Healthy Diet and Lifestyle –
The persons who are prone to having acne regularly should concern about their diet and lifestyle. Avoid the foods and drinks that aggravate the Pitta dosha and make the symptoms severe. We mentioned some of the following preventive measures that every person must follow –
- Drinking coffee can be a part of a healthy diet; however, overconsumption of caffeine, whether it’s consumed as coffee, tea or soda, can exacerbate existing acne. Excess caffeine also increased stress hormones that can play a role in the appearance of acne.
- Excess consumption of desserts like cakes, cookies, and ice cream could trigger the symptoms of acne. The person should be limited to sugar no more than 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men.
- Both physical and emotional stress has been proven to trigger acne breakouts in some people. Try to reduce stress by adopting medications and some of the best exercises.
- Avoid using greasy or harsh products. These products tend to clog your skin pores and irritate your skin, which leads to acne breakouts.
- Eat a lot of green vegetables and fresh fruits as they work wonder for your overall health, they are also vital sources of antioxidants, vitamins, and other essential nutrients that reduce the symptoms and signs of acne and heal acne-ridden skin.
- The person should drink lots of water throughout the day. Water flushes out toxins and other impurities from your system and keeps your skin cleansed and hydrated.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.