- September 28, 2019
- Posted by Dr. Karanvir Singh
- 0 Comment(s)
What are Ayurvedic and Panchakarma Treatment of Acne?
Acne is also termed as Acne vulgaris and is defined as a long term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with oil and dead skin cells from the skin. It commonly occurs in adolescence and it was noticed that around 80-90% of teenagers suffered in the western world.
While the condition is not life-threatening, it can cause significant psychological morbidity and lead to lifelong scarring. In some cases of facial disfigurement if left untreated. Acne generally starts around the age of 12 to 14 years but tends to manifest earlier in female patients. The average age of severity is 16 to 17 years in females and 17 to 19 years in male patients.
What are the Causes of Acne?
Generally, acne appears on the face, forehead, chest, upper back and shoulders because these areas of skin have the most oil (sebaceous) glands. The most common causes are –
- Excess production of oil
- Bacteria build up in pores
- Excess activity of a type of hormone
- Humidity or exposure to dust
- Hormonal changes in both men and women
- Accumulation of dead skin cells in pores
- Certain medications, such as certain birth control pills or corticosteroids
- Excessive intake of diet that is rich in refined sugars or carbohydrates, such as bread and chips
What are the Symptoms of Acne?
While whiteheads and blackheads are the most common lesions seen in acne, but symptoms can vary from person to person. Inflammatory lesions are more likely to cause scarring of your skin. These include:
- Formation of papules – These are small, red, raised bumps caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles.
- Formation of pustules – These are small red pimples that have pus at their tips.
- Formation of nodules – Nodules is solid, often painful lumps beneath the surface of your skin.
- Formation of cyst – Cysts are large lumps found beneath your skin that contains pus and are usually painful.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Acne?
According to Ayurveda, Acne is termed as ‘Yauvan Pidika,’ and is believed to be a manifestation of an aggravated Pitta dosha.
Good health is considered to be a perfect state of balance between Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas. Acne is caused when there is an aggravation of pitta dosha, which acts under the skin and leads to heated toxins, further breaking out as acne.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Acne?
Ayurveda has a slightly different perspective than modern medicines. Ayurveda, the natural treatment, makes the connection between acne, impaired digestion, and a build-up of toxicity in the body. Numerous herbs are available in Ayurveda that is proven to the best for all types of skin, some of the common are neem, manjistha, aloe vera, turmeric, etc.
Hence, Chandigarh Ayurved Centre had made a wonderful kit that includes 6 products that are very effective in curing acne of its root cause. Name of the products are – Neem soap, Twak detox powder, Twak churna, Aloe vera juice, Aloe vera gel, and Panchatikta ghrita guggulu. The kit is purely herbal and mainly made to pacify the Pitta dosha and can be used by every individual of any age.
1) Neem Soap –
Neem is one of the miracle herbs that offer many health benefits. It is an ultimate acne killer & acts as a powerful healer. The soap is very beneficial in healing the acne naturally. It treats issues like too much oiliness or dryness of the skin, red rashes due to permanent inflammation and painful big acne lumps.
Method of Application – Use for daily bathing purpose.
2) Twak Detox Powder –
As we discussed earlier, acne is caused due to aggravation of Pitta Dosha, hence twak detox powder is mainly made to eliminate the toxins from the body as it consists of various bhasmas and herbs – tal sindoor, gandhak rasayan, parwal pishti, sudhyog tablet, jahar mohra, giloy satv, moti pishti, etc. The ingredients reduce the formation of whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, etc. and by purifying the blood it provides a glowing and luster skin.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
3) Twak Churna –
Twak churna is a composition of two main ingredients – Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra) and Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) that are considered as the best herbs for skin. The churna has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiandrogenic abilities that treat acne and also prevent it from re-occurrence. The herb Manjistha acts against bacteria such as Propionibacterium acne and Staphylococcus epidermidis which play a role in the development of pimples.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.
4) Aloe Vera Juice –
Aloe Vera herb is widely used for many medicinal properties as it has anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that provide many benefits to the skin as well as to the whole body. It enhances the immunity power and helps in proper regulation of all the essential hormones. Regular intake of juice prevents the formation of red spots, pimples, painful lumps, etc.
Recommended Dosage – Take 15 – 30 ml twice daily with an equal amount of water.
5) Aloe Vera Gel –
Aloe Vera Gel is formed with the pure extract of herb Aloe Vera and the mixture of rose petals. Thus this wonderful composition provides a cooling effect on the skin that relieves from burning sensation, itchiness, etc. The gel helps in maintaining healthy skin and repairing skin damage.
Recommended Dosage – Gently apply over the affected area of the skin.
6) Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu –
The tablets are very beneficial in curing skin diseases as it contains the Pitta pacifying ingredients such as Shuddh guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia), Gajapippali (Piper chaba), Shunthi (Zingiber officinalis), etc. The tablet is Tridoshahara, thus is very effective in maintaining the hormonal level in the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
7) Skin Care tablet –
Skin care tablet is herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation. It contains various herbs like Haridra khand, Panchnimba churna, Panchatikta guggulu, Patol patra, Ajmoda, Khadir chhal, Chirayta, Mulethi, Manjistha, Chopchini, Gandhak, etc. Skin care tablet is a blood purifying. It cools and detoxifies the blood, dissolves obstructions in the blood flow that further increase blood circulation of the skin. It minimises the blemishes, lighten sun tan, delay ageing of skin and heal skin problems. These tablet also act as a skin moistuirizer, Improves blood circulation, Remove blemishes, Reduce itching and burning sensation of skin, Prevent acne and pimples, Relieves leucoderma.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Acne?
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre offers the best and easiest ways to cure acne with Mukha Lepam and Fruit mukha lepam. The therapies are done by experienced therapists and are proven in having good results.
Mukha lepam – In this, a medicated paste prepared from the best herbs & applied on face that keeps your facial skin healthy.
Fruit mukha lepam – In this Lepam, fruits paste is applied over your face for maintaining natural glow in the skin.
Healthy Diet and Lifestyle –
The persons who are prone to having acne regularly should concern about their diet and lifestyle. Avoid the foods and drinks that aggravate the Pitta dosha and make the symptoms severe. We mentioned some of the following preventive measures that every person must follow –
- Drinking coffee can be a part of a healthy diet; however, overconsumption of caffeine, whether it’s consumed as coffee, tea or soda, can exacerbate existing acne. Excess caffeine also increased stress hormones that can play a role in the appearance of acne.
- Excess consumption of desserts like cakes, cookies, and ice cream could trigger the symptoms of acne. The person should be limited to sugar no more than 25 grams per day for women and 38 grams per day for men.
- Both physical and emotional stress has been proven to trigger acne breakouts in some people. Try to reduce stress by adopting medications and some of the best exercises.
- Avoid using greasy or harsh products. These products tend to clog your skin pores and irritate your skin, which leads to acne breakouts.
- Eat a lot of green vegetables and fresh fruits as they work wonder for your overall health, they are also vital sources of antioxidants, vitamins, and other essential nutrients that reduce the symptoms and signs of acne and heal acne-ridden skin.
- The person should drink lots of water throughout the day. Water flushes out toxins and other impurities from your system and keeps your skin cleansed and hydrated.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.