WHAT IS ANAEMIA?
Anaemia is the medical term for the condition of decreased hemoglobin percentage. It means, there are not enough healthy red blood cells (RBCs) to carry oxygen to your body’s organs. The hemoglobin count in an individual’s body falls below its normal level of 15gm/100ml (in female) and 17 gm/100ml (in male) of blood. It causes shortness of breath, fatigue, palpitation and weakness.
AYURVEDIC ASPECT OF ANAEMIA-
In ayurveda science, anaemia is known as “Pandu Roga”. naemia is a disease that typically imbalances. The pathology of Anaemia disease finds its roots in the imbalances Agni of the body (Digestive fire) , low digestive activity leads to the formation of Ama (Toxin). This disruption is caused by pitta that is circulated around the body by aggravated vata.
NUTRITION AND ANAEMIA-
Anaemia caused by lack of vital nutrients include-
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin A
- Folic acid
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS-
- Dizziness or weakness
- Tongue swelling and soreness
- Chest pain
- Dyspnea on exertioN
- Pale or yellowish skin
- Cold feet and hands
- Dry skin or easily bruised skin.
- Irregular heartbeat(palpitation)
- Unintended movement in the lower leg (restless legs syndrome)
TYPES OF ANAEMIA
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia
- Vitamin Deficiency Anaemia
- Aplastic Anaemia
- Sickle Cell Anaemia
CAUSES OF ANAEMIA-
Red blood cell loss
- Sudden bleed from trauma
- Bleeding from gastrointestional system e.g. ulcers.
Red blood cell destruction
- Immune mediated body attacks the red blood cells
- Destruction from any infection or parasites
Inadequate production of red blood cell
- Iron deficiency
- Folic acid deficiency
- Anaemia of chronic diseases
Decreased red blood cell production
- Bone marrow diseases
- Cancer disease
- Kidney diseases
- Other chronic disease
RISK FACTERS OF ANAEMIA
- A diet lacking in certain vitamins and minerals
- Frequently donating blood
- Family history
- Intestional disorders
- Chronic diseases
- Heavy alcohol intake
- A test to determine the size and shape of your red blood cells.
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Reticulocyte count
- Peripheral smear
MANAGEMENT OF ANAEMIA –
- Treatment for iron deficiency anemia is usually involves taking iron supplements and changing your diet plan. Iron supplements can help to restore the iron levels in your body. If the cause of iron deficiency is loss of blood then blood transfusion can replace iron and blood loss quickly.
- Treatment for Vitamin deficiency anemia (folic acid and vitamin C deficiency) involves dietary supplements and increasing these nutrients in your diet.
- There’s no specific treatment for ‘Anemia of chronic disease’. Doctors focus on treating the underlying disease.
- Treatment for Aplastic anemia can include blood transfusions to increases levels of red blood cells. You might need a bone marrow transplant if your bone marrow can’t make healthy blood cells.
- Treatment of these Anemias associated with bone marrow disease can include medication, chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation.
- Treatment for hemolytic anaemias includes avoiding suspect medications, treating infections and taking drugs that suppress your immune system.
- Sickle cell anemia treatment might include oxygen, pain relievers, and oral and intravenous fluids to reduce pain and prevent complications. Doctors might also recommend blood transfusions, folic acid supplements and antibiotics.
- Most forms of thalassemia are mild and require no treatment. More severe forms of thalassemia generally require blood transfusions, folic acid supplements, and medication, removal of the spleen, or a blood and bone marrow stem cell transplant.
- If anaemia is left untreated, the risks of developing complications that affect the heart and the lungs get higher.
AYURVEDIC FORMULATIONS FOR ANAEMIA-
- Navayasa loha churna
- Saptamrita loha churna
- Bhringraja asava
- Dhatri loha
- Mandoora vataka
- Punarnavashtaka kwatha
SINGLE DRUGS IN ANAEMIA-
- Amalaki-Emblica officinalis
- Bhringraja-Eclipta alba
- Punarnava– Boerhavia diffusa
- Pippali-Piper longam
- Draksha-Vitis vinifera
- Musta-Cyperus rotundus
- Haritaki-Terminalia chebula
- Vidanga-Embelia ribes
- Giloy-Tinospora cordifolia
- Kumari– Aloe vera
- Shaunthi- Zingiber officinale
- Shatavari-Asparagus racemosus
- Shilajit- Asphaltum punjabinum
BEST HOME REMEDIES FOR ANAEMIA
- Soak one to two tablespoonfuls of fenugreek (Methi) seeds overnight. Add these to a handful of rice and cook in the pressure cooker. Add salt to taste. Eat methi rice daily for a month.
- Mix 1/2 a cup of apple juice with 1/2 a cup of beetroot (chukandar) juice. Add a tsp of honey and shake well. Drink this juice twice daiy.
- Soak black sesame (Tila) seeds in warm water for 2-3 hours then grind it to make a paste and add honey or jaggery (gur) to it. Mix well. Drink it daily with milk.
- Consume fresh pomegranate (Anar) daily because it boosts blood count.
- Have one or two bananas every day. It promotes the production of hemoglobin in the blood.
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) and red beetroot juice should be taken daily. It strengthens the body, reactivates red blood cells and supplies the body with fresh oxygen.
CAC Anemia Care Kit
- KUTKI CAPSULES- Take one capsule twice daily.
- DETOX PREMIUM SACHET- Take one sachet twice daily.
- NONI CAPSULES- Take one capsule twice daily
- PLATEFER TABLET- Take one tablet twice daily
- Power BLOOD SYRUP- Take 2 Teaspoon twice daily
ANEMIA CARE KIT
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.