Different countries have different time zones. When it is morning in India, in many countries it is time to sleep. Likewise, our bedtime brings their morning. When we cross this time zone during air travel, jet leg poses a major problem. The jet lag is not a physical problem. This is the result of our body clock deteriorating due to the new environment.
A person suffering from jet lag has to go through some problems like not sleeping, taking yawns throughout the day, feeling hungry, fatigue- headache, lack of concentration, dizziness, and nausea, getting nervous and getting up, etc.
Jet lag disorder or jet lag, commonly known as a temporary sleeping disorder that can occur to anyone who travels multiple times over. The human body has its internal clock which is medically known as the circadian rhythm that signals the body to stay awake or go to sleep. Jet lag occurs when the body clock remains in line with your original time zone, from where you started your journey.
Instead of the new time zone where you have traveled and your destination. The more time you cross, the more jet lag disorder you will find in your body. Although jet lag is not a life-threatening condition and goes away in a few days, it can still significantly reduce the comfort of your business or vacation trip. Medically jet lag disorder which is a chronobiological problem is known as desynchronosis.
Jet lag symptoms
These symptoms can vary from person to person and the symptoms include disturbed sleep, problems with focus, constipation, daytime fatigue, changes in mood. These symptoms can worsen and last longer if traveling in different time zones. it may take at least one-two days to recover in a particular time zone.
Causes of jet lag
- Disturbances in the circadian rhythm: This is caused by crossing multiple time zones, thus helping to change your circadian rhythm which helps regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
- Effect of Sunlight: Sunlight affects a person’s internal clock because light affects the regulation of melatonin hormones that synchronize cells throughout the body.
- The atmosphere and air cabin pressure: Some research has shown that if the air cabin pressure changes, the jet contributes to the lag.
What does the direction of travel mean for jet lag?
Jet lag becomes difficult while traveling in the eastern direction while traveling west is easy. Jet lag is long-lasting if you travel in the east, it shows the internal clock of the body.
What is the treatment of jet lag?
Jet lag does not require any treatment or medication as the symptoms do not last long and settle down within a few days. Jet lag treatment can be done in various procedures according to the patient’s interest.
Jet lag becomes difficult while traveling in the east direction while traveling west is easy. The jet lag is long-lasting if it travels east it reflects the internal clock of the body.
Risk factors for jet lag
Risk factors for jet lag include:
- Several time zones crossed: If the number of time zones crossed has increased, the intensity of the jet lag also increases.
- Being an older adult: If you are an older adult it may take longer to recover from the jet lag.
- Continuous Flying: Business travelers, pilots, flight attendants are more affected by jet lag.
What vitamins help in jet lag?
Both vitamin D and B are helpful in jet lag. Vitamin B-12 keeps the body energetic and active and vitamin D is natural and is directly related to the melatonin level of the body.
How long does the jet lag last?
The faster the body adjusts to the local time zone. It usually takes 3 to 5 days to recover from the jet lag.
Best jet lag natural remedies
- Sunlight: It can be used to reset a person’s internal clock as it is the most powerful and natural tool to control your sleep cycle. it is one of best jet lag cures
- Caffeine: Avoid beverages that contain caffeine such as coffee, espresso afternoon because they make it difficult to fall asleep.
- Additional treatments: Additional treatments such as diet changes, high protein diet, low protein diet. Exercise can also be done to try to reduce the effect of jet lag. it is the jet lag best remedy
Best jet lag cures
- Setting your watch in the new time zone.
- Sleep and wake time can be optimized.
- Taking Melatonin.
- Do not eat too much.
- Staying dehydrated.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and coffee.
- Adjusting the destination mode.
- Start going out in the sun.
- Prepare home before departure.
How to stop jet lag?
- Arrive early: If you have some important work to do, try to go early and keep pace with the changes. It helps the body adjust to the new space and over time.
- Slowly adjusts the holiday schedule: Traveling east can cause a problem and go to bed an hour before a few weeks of departure. It is the jet lag best remedy
- Getting plenty of sleep before the trip: Do not be deprived of sleep as it worsens the situation of jet lag.
- Stay hydrated: Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water as dehydration can worsen the symptoms of jet lag. Alcohol and caffeine should be avoided as they both affect your sleep.
- Stay on the new schedule: Try to be scheduled as the time of the new place and try to sleep as the time of the place and try to mix your mealtime as well.
- Try sleeping on the surface: Stopping nearby noise and sleeping on the surface can help.
Jet lag remedy tips
- Sleep on time and drink plenty of water to get rid of jet lag.
- Cold drinks can also be drunk, but not alcohol.
- If the trip is short, then adopt a regular schedule.
- Go on a long trip, then find the weather and schedule of that place and try to adjust accordingly.
- Exercise daily. Walk in the fresh air.
- Listen to good books and music.
- Sleep medicine can also be used for a short time.
- At this time aroma oil will also give you relief. Apply it on the wrist, tempo, and sole.
Ayurvedic treatment for jet lag
Nerve up tablet
CAC Nerve up tablet is a herbo-mineral tablet and is the purely ayurvedic formulation. CAC Nerve up tablets help in balancing the Vata doshas. It is used as jet lag medicine. It reduces Kapha dosha and acts as a nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. These contain natural vatahar properties and help in curing Vata diseases.
Acts as CNS stimulant: speed up physical and mental processes.
- Respiratory stimulant
- Acts as convulsant: producing sudden and involuntary muscle contractions.
- Prevents periodic returns of the disease.
- Joint pain
- Swelling in joints
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
Nerve plus tablet
Cac nerve plus tablet contains Ghritkumari, kalimirch, Giloy satva, Shudha shilajeet, Shudha Kuchala, Shudha Vatsnabh, etc. These herbs might be beneficial in improving appetite by increasing intestinal motility as well as gastrointestinal functions and also help prevent constipation. It might be good for diabetics due to the presence of certain constituents that help lower blood glucose levels. Kuchla also helps to manage insomnia by controlling the functions of the brain and reducing stress. It is also beneficial in managing urinary problems like burning sensation or irritation during urination due to its diuretic activity.
According to Ayurveda, the administration of Kuchla is recommended only after its purification (shodhana) in different media like cow’s urine (Gomutra), cow’s milk (Go dugdha) or cow’s ghee (Go ghrita). The final purified product is known as Sudha Kuchla. Sudha Kuchla helps to manage sexual problems like erectile dysfunction due to its Vajikarna (aphrodisiac) property. Kuchla oil can be applied to the joints to provide relief from inflammation and pain associated with rheumatism due to its anti-inflammatory property. It Stimulates the nervous system, insomnia, Acts as aphrodisiac, InflammatioN, and Improves appetite.
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
Stress care tablet
CAC Stress care tablet is an amazing combination of natural herbs like Sarpgandha, Brahmi, Tagar, jatamansi. It helps to relieve stress conditions. They help to pacify the nervous system and also help to increase mental and physical performance.
In Ayurveda when there is an imbalance of three energies i.e. Vata, pitta, and Kapha, it leads to disease. Vata has a sub dosha named prana doshas which regulates the sensory perception, brain, and mind. Tarpak Kapha subtype of Kapha governs cerebrospinal fluid, sadhak pitta subtype of pitta doshas governs emotions, and their impact on the heart. So any vitiation of these doshas leads to stress. It helps Maintain stress level, Provides strength to the nervous system, Works in anxiety, loneliness, insomnia, sleep, Negative emotions, Enhance concentration in studies and other work, Memory loss, and Palpitations. It is an ayurvedic remedy for jet lag
Dosage– 1 tab twice daily with plain water
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.