Sometimes all you can do is smile. Move on with your day, hold back the tears and pretend you’re okay this is the condition a patient suffering from backache is facing every moment.
Backache is a debilitating and uncomfortable situation. It is the common reason for absence from work. It can affect people of any age.
The chances of lower back pain are common as the people get older due to degenerative changes in the disc.
The pain in the upper part of the back is due to spine inflammation, tumor in the chest, & disorders of the aorta. Lower back pain is associated with discs between the vertebrae, lower back muscles, bony lumbar spine, spinal cord, nerve compression, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the discs and the spine, skin around the lumbar region, abdominal and pelvic internal organs.
Most of the people take a higher dose of pain-killers and steroids for lower back treatment that causes side effects on the body.
Instead of all these medicines, you should always take ayurvedic and panchakarma treatment for proper relief. These medicines, act on the root cause of the disease without causing any side-effects.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Backache?
The various signs and symptoms that are associated with backache patients are:
- Swelling and inflammation on the back
- Muscle ache
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- An injury or trauma to the back
- Weight loss
- Numbness around the anus
- Urinary incontinence
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Numbness around the buttocks
- Fecal incontinence
- Numbness around the genitals
- Pain that worsens with walking, standing, lifting, bending
- Stabbing or shooting pain
- Radiating pain in your leg
What are the Causes of Backache?
Our back is composed of ligaments, tendons, discs, bones, & muscles that support the body. When there is a problem with any of the component it can cause back pain.
Damage to the back is due to poor posture, strain, medical conditions, & many other conditions. There are many causes for backache mentioned below:
- Strain in muscles, ligaments, muscle tension, fracture, injuries, muscle spasm, fracture, injuries, lifting heavyweight, etc.
- Structural problems like bulging disks, ruptured disks, arthritis, sciatica, osteoporosis, abnormal curvature of the spine, kidney stones, kidney infections, etc.
- Cauda equina syndrome causes pain in upper buttocks, lower back, and numbness in thighs, buttocks, & genitalia.
- A tumor on the spine, infection of the spine, pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Wrong sitting posture & obesity.
- Muscle tension, over-stretching, lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying heavyweight.
What is the Ayurvedic Concept for Backache?
In Ayurveda Backache is correlated with “Kati Shoola” mainly vata dosha is involved. It is categorized under vataja nantmaja vyadhis. Kati is known as Back and shoola means pain.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Backache?
Ayurveda contains various herbs that balance vata dosha naturally. Ayurvedic medicines act on the root cause of disease & relieve all symptoms without causing any side-effects.
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre contains a complete Backache Solution Kit for the natural and ayurvedic treatment of Backache. This Kit comprises five products Nerve Up tablet, Nerve Plus Tablet, Panchsakar Churna, Pain O Kill Oil, & Trikatu Syrup and Detox Premium Powder.
All Products description in detail:
1. Nerve up tablet:
These tablets are pure ayurvedic formulation. Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha. It acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in Backache, kneepain, headache, bronchitis, depression.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
2. Nerve Plus tablet:
These tablets shows Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Analgesic and immune-modulator properties. It contains herbal ingredients Ghritkumari (Aloe barbadensis), Kali mirch (Piper nigrum), Giloy satav (Tinospora crdifolia), shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, shudha vatsnabh, shudh singraf. It is beneficial for migraine, lower back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, stimulating nerves and appetite.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily.
3. Panchasakar Churna:
Panchsakar Churana is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of five ingredients named as – Saindhavan Lavana – (Rock Salt), Swarnapatri – (Cassia angustifolia), Shatapushpa – (Anethum sowa), Shunti – (Zingiber officinale), Balaharitaki – (Unripe fruits of Terminalia chebula).Panchasakar Churna is naturally detoxifying, thus it removes the toxins from the body. The churna has an anti – inflammatory properties due to which it can reduces the swelling. It is also effective in reducing the weight, which can help to reduce the pressure on lumbar area.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful with Luke warm water at bedtime.
4. Pain-O-Kill Oil:
This herbal oil contain ingredients like – Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Kustha (Saussurea lappa), Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus), Vatsnabh (Aconitum ferox), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara) etc. This oil is an Ayurvedic medicine which gives best result in all types of pain. It is beneficial for the muscle relaxant, sports injury, low back pain, weakness, etc. This oil has a good result in reducing the inflammation.
Method of Usage – It is applied on the affected portion of the body and massage with light pressure. Do this procedure twice a day.
5. Trikatu Syrup:
Trikatu combines the goodness of Black pepper, Ginger and, Long pepper to create an herbal remedy for digestive ailments, sluggish metabolism, obesity, and high cholesterol. This syrup has best results in anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and expectorant. It also help to tackle the weight problems or obesity. It can modulate your body’s immune response while cutting the characteristic inflammation associated with the back pain.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day before meal with normal water.
6. Detox Premium Powder:
This is the mixture of traditional bhasmas that remove the toxins all over the body naturally. As it consists the combination of shukta pishti, giloy satv, parval pishti, gandhak rasayan, kamdudha rasa etc. The powder is very beneficial to relieve discomfort, pain, numbness, muscle ache and reduces swelling and inflammation on the back.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Backache?
Panchakarma is the best way to treat all the signs and symptoms related to Backache patients.
As it gives good results along with ayurvedic medicines mentioned above. The procedures recommended in Backache are:
- Kati Vasti: In this procedure, a circular ring is formed on the back with dough. After that lukewarm medicated oil is poured in this ring. After that, the oil is removed. The procedure is done for four to five-time.
- Patra Potli Pind Sweda: In this procedure, a potali (bag) is filled with herbal leaves. After that, it is cooked in medicated oil. With this potali lower back is massaged to reduce the potali.
- Shasti Shali Pind Sweda: The shasti shali rice is cooked in medicated oil. After that, the affected area of back is massaged with this potali and can be an effective treatment for back pain in Ayurveda.
- Abhayang: In this procedure, lower back is massaged with the medicated herbal oil for lower back pain relief.
Healthy Tips and Diet for Backache Patients:
- Eat a healthy diet and avoid processed or fast food items.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Avoid drinking tea and coffee.
- Eat plenty of fruits except banana.
- Consume food items that are rich in fiber for avoiding constipation.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, & taking tobacco should be strictly avoided.
- Include raw salads in your diet. Also, include green leafy vegetables.
- You can take yellow lentil, pink lentil, green gram but avoid black gram, chickpeas, white rice, kidney beans.
- Walk daily for 30 mins daily.
- Do perform yoga poses for lower backpain treatment like Bhujangasana, Ardha mastsyendrasana, Trikonasana, Halasana, Paschimottanasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana, Tadasana, Garudasana, Dhanurasana, etc.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.