I believe that all of the health ailment can be treated by Ayurveda because Ayurveda believes that our body is ruled and governed by Tri Doshas- Vata, Pitta, and Kapha dosha.
When any of the dosha gets imbalanced or vitiated it results to health ailments. Ayurveda is an ancient method of treatment which included the treatment through herbs.
We are lucky to have Ayurvedic doctors who are continuing the tradition and treating through herbs following the traditional way of treatment.
As per Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Acharya Sushruta has stated that Bandhya is a type of yonivyapada that has p symptom like amenorrhea or oligomenorrhoea.
Similarly Acharya Charka has also described Arajasaka is a Yonivyapada which indicates Amenorrhea.
Ayurveda says our body is managed and governed by three forces which are called vatta dosha, pitta dosha, and kapha dosha, all three moves within the body and help & support the body in performing essential bodily functions.
Imbalance and vitiation in these forces become the cause of diseases. According to Ayurveda PCOS is consider to be the result of imbalanced Vata Dosha particularly Apan vata is responsible, other two doshas is also responsible but major is vata.
As per dosha the symptoms are-
- Vata dosha is major which is visible with painful periods, irregular menses, low weight and etc.
- Pitta dosha is also responsible which manifests as hair loss, acne, painful menses, clots, heart problems
- Kapha is predominance and manifests as increased weight, infertility, hirsutism , diabetic tendencies, coldness
Talking about the treatment of PCOS by Ayurveda includes different methods
- Ayurvedic Therapies for PCOS
Below are the Ayurvedic therapies that are practiced to treat PCOS:
- Basti (Herbal Enema)
This procedure includes enema by medicated oil or decoction, which is done through the rectum. Basti helps to balance and pacify vitiated vatta, which gives which is cause of PCOS.
- Virechan (Herbal cleansing)
This therapy helps in flushing out the toxins such as vitiated pitta out of the body. The therapy includes herbal mixture that encourages the bowel movement in order to throw out the doshas through the rectum.
- Vaman (Herbal vomiting)
Vaman is the therapy which includes the procedure to flush out the Kapha from the body. Vaman includes the herbal medicines to let the toxins come out of the body through vomiting. The procedure is painless, helps in detoxification, and balances the hormones.
PCOS can also be treated and managed through diet- 7 Tips for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Try a Low- GI Diet
- Don’t skimp on breakfast
- Eat enough healthy fats
- Cut down on carbohydrate
- Eat enough quantity of lean protein
- Stay active
What is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder which results in enlargement of ovaries and formation of small cysts on the outer line of ovaries.
PCOS is the disorder that affects a woman’s hormone levels which leads to over production of hormones higher-than-normal amounts of male hormones.
This imbalance results to skipping of menstrual periods and becomes a big reason for no conception.
The symptoms which clear that one is suffering with PCOS:
- Acne, oily skin, and seborrhea.
- Enlarged ovaries with multiple small cysts,
- Oligomenorrhea or amenorrhea
- Lack of ovulation which leads to infertility
- Abnormal bleeding during periods
- Facial hair growth
- Problems with blood sugar regulation
- Male-pattern hair loss and fat deposition
- Weight gain or obesity
- Hyper pigmentation on neck and face
Causes or the factors that may play a role:
- Excess insulin- Function of Pancreas is to produce hormone called Insulin which allows cells to use sugar which gives energy to the body.
- Excess of anything is dangerous same goes for insulin, when it is more than the requirement it may increase androgen production that brings complication in ovulation.
- Low-grade inflammation-The term itself describes that is related to production of white blood which has the function to fight against infection.
- PCOS is a type of low-grade inflammation that encourages polycystic ovaries to produce androgens that can lead to heart and blood vessel problems.
- Heredity- PCOS is also can be due to hereditary reason.
- Excess androgen-Over production of androgen by ovaries, can result in hirsutism and acne.
PCOS can be lead to these complications which can be reason of other disease-
- Gestational diabetes or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure
- Miscarriage or premature birth
- Severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
- Metabolic syndrome — too many problems together like high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels which can be risk of cardiovascular disease
- Sleep apnea
- Depression, anxiety and eating disorders
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- endometrial cancer
The symptoms and causes of PCOS can be managed and treated if one follows the proper process of medication which includes the diet, yoga, and Ayurvedic medicines.
Chandigarh Ayurveda offer the combination of medicines which the properties to work for the treatment of PCOS. The offered medicines are 100% Ayurvedic and chemical-free.
This is a classical herbal tablets it is in use since years for the treatment of granthi dosha. Preparation of this herbal tablet is done by Pippali, Bibhitaki, Haritaki, Shunthi, etc.
The used herbs have the properties to shrink the size of the cyst and remove it from the body. Pain, swelling, discomfort, bloating, revitalize the cells, and rejuvenate a person.
Advised dose is 2 tablets twice daily with normal water.
Stri Vyadhihari Tablets
Shatapushpa, Karpasamoola, Latakaranja beej, etc are the herbs used in formation of these herbal tablets. Stri Vyadhihari tablets have the properties to pacify the vata and pitta dosha that are responsible for the problems faced by women.
This tablets work in treating the ailments suffered by women issues like dysfunctional uterine bleeding, infertility, ovarian cysts, miscarriage, menopause, recurrent absorption etc.
The tablets are antispasmodic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties and also maintain the hormonal imbalance by nature.
Advised dose is 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
It is considered as a general uterine tonic. This is combination of Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Ashok chall, Lodhra chall, Haritaki, etc in form of Ayurvedic syrup which has the properties to maintain and manage all signs and symptoms seen in ovarian cyst patients.
This syrup provides complete nourishment to the women; it makes the reproductive system strong and treats all types of ovarian problems. The syrup also helps in relieving the abdominal pain, sweating, tiredness, nausea etc.
Advised dose is 2 teaspoonfuls twice daily.
This herbal tablet encourages the ovulation and removes the ovarian cysts. It is a classical formulation prepared using Kaseesa, Tankana, Kanya, and Ramatha.
This herbal tablet helps in balancing the Kapha and Pitta dosha also beneficial in reducing the depression, heaviness and pain, nausea, vomiting, painful bowel movements, etc.
Advised dose is 2 tablets twice daily with normal water
Dos and Don’ts as per Ayurveda to be taken care in PCOS
- Just like in the case of any other treatment, Ayurvedic treatments require you to follow certain parameters for an effective treatment. Given below are some dos and don’ts for PCOS patients.
- It is recommended that you cut down on the intake of milk and milk products with the exception of buttermilk.
- It’s better to opt for low-fat milk, it should be boiled adding a pinch of ginger or turmeric before as it will have the property to decrease the Kapha.
- Follow a natural sleep pattern, and refrain from sleeping in the afternoon as it may interrupt your sleep cycle in the night.
- Say goodbye to all sorts of junk food.
- It’s advisable to restrict the consumption of red meat, deep-fried food, and eggs as much as you can. Can take fish once in a while.
- Sugar increases Kapha so avoid sugar products. Can replace sugar with honey only if required as honey reduces Kapha.
- You are allowed to consume beans, but avoid the intake of nuts.
- Potatoes can lead weight gain and affect the parameter of blood sugar so avoid it.
- It is recommended that you avoid undertaking any physical or mental work that can cause undue stress.
- Restrict your use of contraceptives.
- It’s recommended that you have a balanced diet.
- Can consume wheat or rice but in less quantity.
- Include herbs such as cinnamon, garlic, and fenugreek in your diet.
- Drink herbal teas such as spearmint tea or green tea.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, and narcotics as these are known to impact menstrual cycles negatively.
There are few question that are regularly asked by the women suffering with PCOS.
Is PCOS serious?
If it is not treated, over time it can lead to some serious health issues such as infertility, diabetes, heart disorder, and even cancer in women.
In PCOS there is the formation of cyst on the outer layer of ovaries which can further cause a drastic hormonal imbalance in your body.
Can I get pregnant with PCOS?
If you suffer from PCOS, it is hard to get pregnant, because during PCOS your periods get disturbed and there is no proper ovulation.
But you don’t worry it’s not permanent you can cure it with the help of some herbal medicines which are offered by Chandigarh Ayurveda are combination of all beneficial herbs that have the properties to treat the PCOS and Kanchnaar Guggul, Stri Vyadhihari Tablets, Stri-Poshak Syrup, and Rajahpravartani Vati.
Is PCOS life-threatening?
PCOS is a hormonal disorder which can be further cause of other health ailments like Diabetes Mellitus (insulin resistance body), stroke, and cardiovascular disease.
It can also be coupled with endometrial and uterine cancer. So, yes we can say that PCOS is a life-threatening disease to some extent.
Will taking the pills help PCOS?
Many modern doctors suggest that birth control pills can manage the menstrual cycle but I would suggest to take Ayurvedic medicines like Kanchnaar Guggul, Stri Vyadhihari Tablets, Stri-Poshak Syrup, and Rajahpravartani Vati because these free from side effects.
Avoid taking birth control pills for PCOS; sometimes it can cause severe side effects.
For Treatment – PCOS RELIEF KIT
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.