- Chikungunya is a viral infection which spreads by the bite of an infected mosquito. It is caused by aedes aegypti mosquito. This mosquito is additionally responsible for dengue and zika virus.
- It can spread through infected blood and rarely from mother to the newborn child.
- The most typical symptoms of chikungunya are joint pain and fever.
- Severe outbreaks of chikungunya have occurred in africa, asia, caribbean, europe, indian and pacific oceans. Travellers are most typically affected.
- The virus can spread from affected areas to the new ones.
- Chikungunya symptoms usually subside within 1 week. However, in some cases, they last for months.
- People suffering from chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes, etc. are at more risk to chikungunya.
SYMPTOMS OF CHIKUNGUNYA
Symptoms begin after an incubation period of 3-7 days. The signs and symptoms associated with chikungunya are:
- Joint pain
- Muscle ache
- Swelling in joints
- Redness in eyes
- Death is rare from chikungunya
Patients generally get better within a week. But joint pain can persist for a few months. Once someone gets infected, he/she gets protected from future infections.
DIAGNOSIS OF CHIKUNGUNYA
- The doctor will take complete medical history of the patient. He will do his physical examination.
- He will take the travel history of the patient.
- He may order some blood tests also.
TREATMENT OF CHIKUNGUNYA
There has been found no vaccine of chikungunya either for its prevention or its treatment. Only symptomatic treatment is done:
- One should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration
- Proper rest
- Medicines like acetaminophen or paracetamol for reducing fever and pain
- Avoid aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce risk of bleeding
PREVENTION OF CHIKUNGUNYA
- Chikungunya spreads from the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes bite both during day and night.
- So to prevent chikungunya one should protect himself/herself from mosquito bites.
- Following are the steps which should be taken to prevent chikungunya:
- Use mosquito repellants
- Wear long sleeved shirts
- Wear trousers to cover legs
- Use screens on windows and doors.
- Use air-conditioners
- Use mosquito nets
- Maintain cleanliness in home and in surroundings
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF CHIKUNGUNYA
In ayurveda, chikungunya comes under sannipattik jwara. Following are the herbs which help in relieving symptoms of the disease:
- It’s active ingredient is curcumin. Curcumin is an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- It reduces pain and thus, good for treating chikungunya.
- Gingerol present in ginger is anti-inflammatory in nature. It helps in combating pain and gives relief to chikungunya patients.
- Coconut water detoxifies liver. In chikungunya, virus infects liver after entering blood.
- It helps in rapid recovery from chikungunya.
Tulsi (Basil Leaves)
- Tulsi is rich in anti-oxidants and thus boosts immune system. It fights infections and thus helps in quick recovery.
- Boil 2-3 basil leaves in water and drink the liquid or chew basil leaves once or twice in a day.
Sunflower seeds and Honey
- Sunflower seeds are rich in zinc and vitamin E. They are very much required for proper functioning of immune system and helps fight body infections.
- Honey is a very good anti-inflammatory agent. It helps in relieving bodyaches.
CHANDIGARH AYURVEDA CENTER’S MEDICATIONS FOR TREATING CHIKUNGUNYA
Here are some of the medications of Chandigarh Ayurveda Center which are used for the treatment of chikungunya:
1. GILOY CAPSULES
- CAC Giloy Capsules are herbo mineral and purely ayurvedic formulation.
- It is one of the best Rasayan of ayurveda that help Rejuvinate your body in all aspects.
- It is a very good anti oxidant, anti bacterial, anti fungal and anti microbial herb.
- Giloy capsules support normal kidney functions , have blood purifying properties, treat liver disorders, skin diseases, general weakness and boost your immune system to fight against infections.
USES OF GILOY CAPSULES
- Boost immunity
- Treat chronic fevers
- Improves digestion
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Treat Diabetes
- Fight Respiratory problems
Recommended dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily after meals
2. NERVE UP TABLETS
- CAC Nerve up tablet is a herbo-mineral tablet and is purely ayurvedic formulation.
- It reduces kapha dosha, and acts as nervine stimulant.
- It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system.
- It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc.
USES OF CAC NERVE UP TABLET
- Acts as CNS stimulant: speed up physical and mental processes.
- Joint pain
- Swelling in joints
- Body weakness
Recommended dosage: 1 tab twice a day
3. CURCUMIN CAPSULES
- CAC Curcumin Capsules helps in pacifying all three doshas.
- Curcumin Capsule is beneficial for variety of skin conditions like Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dermatitis.
- This Capsule contains standardized extract of the herb Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric having powerful Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-microbial and Antioxidant properties.
- These Capsules lowers the risk of Heart Attack, prevents Cancer by reducing the growth of cancerous cells, helps in treating Alzheimer’s disease, Rheumatoid arthritis and also has Anti-depressant property.
USES OF CURCUMIN CAPSULES
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Recommended dosage: 2 capsules twice daily
4. IMMUNE UP SATCHET
- CAC Immuno up sachet is pure herbal formulation.
- This pacifies tridosha (Vata, pitta and Kapha), strengthen your immunity, keeps your digestive system fit and also detox your body. it also works in cold, fever and flu conditions.
- It consists of effective levels of antioxidants, Vitamin C and E which circulate in the body to protect it against the damage caused by free radicals
- Helps to promote healthy immune resistance
- Long term cell protection
- Antioxidant in nature
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Lower blood sugar level
- Provide relief from Headache
Recommended dosage: 1 sachet two times a day
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.