CEREBRAL PALSY – Cerebral palsy is neurological disorders. Cerebral means brain and palsy means loss or impairment of motor function. Cerebral palsy is due to the damage or abnormalities develop inside the brain that interrupt the brain ability to control the movement and maintain posture and balance.
The exact cause of cerebral palsy can’t always be determined. Possibilities include:
- Poor brain development in the womb
- Maternal infections or medical conditions
- Disruption of blood flow to the developing brain
- Genetic conditions
- Ingestion of toxins or drugs during pregnancy
- Damage to the head or skull during delivery
- Complications related to premature delivery
There are four types of cerebral palsy
1. Spastic Cerebral Palsy – Spastic cerebral palsy occur 75 percent of all cases. It cause increased muscle tone, known as spasticity and causes include:
- Delayed in developmental milestones for moving.
- Abnormal movements.
- Movement inhibition.
- Stiff and spastic muscles.
- Difficulties controlling muscle movement.
- Difficulties moving from one position to another.
2. Dyskinetic Cerebral Palsy – Dyskinetic cerebral palsy is also most common type of Cerebral Palsy. Symptoms include:
- Dystonia, repetitive and twisting motions.
- Athetosis, writhing movements.
- Chorea, unpredictable movements.
- Poor posture.
- Painful movements.
- Difficulty swallowing or talking.
3. Ataxic Cerebral Palsy – Ataxic cerebral palsy is the least common cerebral palsy. Symptom occur in ataxic cerebral palsy include poor balance, tremors, limited coordination and shaky movements that are difficult to control.
4. Mixed Cerebral Palsy – Mixed cerebral palsy symptoms include above the other types.
- Muscle tone either too stiff or too floppy
- Stiff muscles and exaggerated reflexes
- Stiff muscles with normal reflexes rigidity
- Lack of balance and muscle coordination
- Tremors or involuntary movements
- Slow writhing movements
- Delays in reaching motor skills milestones like pushing up on arms, sitting up or crawling
- Use one side of the body like reaching with one hand or dragging a leg while crawlin
- Difficulty walking
- Excessive drooling or problems with swallowing
- Difficulty with sucking or eating
- Delays in speech development or difficulty speaking
- Learning difficulties
- Difficulty with buttoning clothes or picking up utensils
REMEDIES FOR CEREBRAL PALSY
- Echinacea – This is an herbal supplement. It promotes effective blood circulation throughout the body. It also initiates better neural communication and soothe spastic muscles with improved communication and promoted blood flow.
- Ginger – Ginger is also known as a circulatory herb that promotes blood flow thorough the body. Ginger also promote oxygen levels in the brain cells which will improve neural communication.
- Astragalus Root – The roots of astragalus showed positive effects on behavior, motor, social and daily skills in children with cerebral palsy.
- Epsom Salt – Epsom salt offers innumerable health benefit more for those with cerebral palsy. This helps to relieve stress and muscle aches and eliminates toxins from the body. It also possess great anti-inflammatory properties that can ease muscle cramps. This salt contains magnesium and sulfate which are easily absorbed into the skin.
- Breathing – Stress can play an important role in muscle pain and tension. Deep breathing are widely used to relieve pain and stress. Control breathing for few time release tension in muscles and relax whole body.
- Ice and heat – both cool and warm temperatures can ease pain. Apply heating pads then an ice pack for localized pain in joints and muscles. The National Institute of Health suggests that this can stop painful spastic movement.
- Fish oil – fish oil contain high amount of omega-3, they improve effective nerve communication and nerve response also promote the development of healthy brain tissue. Every people should take this but give especially benefit to those suffering from Cerebral Palsy.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR CEREBRAL PALSY
Cerebral Palsy Care Kit
1. Detox Premium Powder – These herbal sachets are prepared from ingredients such as Shankh bhasma, Sutshekhar ras, Parvalpishti, Shukta, Giloy, Kamdudha ras, Shvetparpati that gives calming effect on the stomach.
- Shankh bhasma: This ayurvedic bhasma is prepared from conch shell. The bhasma shows antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antacid, digestive stimulant properties. The problems like indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, etc are easily treated with it.
- Sutshekhar ras: It is an ayurvedic preparation that maintains pitta dosha in the body. This ras provides effective results in abdominal pain, heartburn, nausea, fever, headache, epigastric tenderness, etc.
- Parval pishti: This pishti is prepared from coral calcium processed in rose water. It provides effective results in acidity, burning sensation, headache, etc.
- Shukta pishti: This pishti balances the pitta dosha in the body and removes all toxins from the body.
- Giloy satv: Giloy satv possesses antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, carminative, immunomodulator, etc properties. It eliminates the ama from body hence provide good results in acidity problem.
- Kamdudha ras: This ras reduces heat, burning sensation, epigastrium tenderness, irritability, heartburn, and acidity.
- Shwet parpati: It is also effective in acidity.
Recommended Dosage – Take one sachet twice daily.
2. Panchasakar churna – Panchasakar churna is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of mainly five ingredients as its name describes. This medicine is known to have properties like laxatives and purgatives etc. The Churna contains ingredients such as Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Trivrith (Operculina turpethum), Pippali (Piper longum), and Sauvarchala lavana. It decreases the abdominal pain, bloating, constipation that maintains a healthy colon and supports the overall health of the body.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 teaspoonful with lukewarm water at bedtime.
3. Anu Tailam – Anu tailam is herbal and ayurvedic oil used for the nasal instillation for curing the various diseases. It is administrated through the nasal passage to lubricate, protect and calm the mind. It includes – Sesame oil, Bael tree root, Solanum root, Cinnamon stem bark, Holostemma tuber, cardamom fruit, etc. It mainly balances the Kapha dosha and is beneficial in diseases of head, brain, face, nose, and eyes. Its use is generally recommended in chronic headache, problem of migraine, sinusitis, improves the voice, and vocal cords. Anu tailam gives effective results to asthma patients.
Recommended Dosage – Put 2-3 drops of Anu tailam in each nostril.
4. Nerve up tablet – These tablets are pure ayurvedic formulation. Nerve up tablets help in balancing the vata doshas and kapha dosha. It acts as nervine stimulant. It shows effective results in improving the central nervous system. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchala, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, praval pishti, shankh bhasma etc. This tablet helps in Backache, knee pain, headache, bronchitis, depression.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 tablet twice daily.
5. Makar Rasayan – Makar Rasayan tablet is a herbo-mineral tablet and is purely Ayurvedic formulation help in balancing all the three doshas. It helps to rejuvenate body tissues and act as an immuno modulator. It helps in proper blood circulation. It prevents the skin from dryness. It contains natural ingredients like shudha kuchla, guduchi satva, shudha shilajeet, abhrak bhasma, ras sindoor, moonga bhasma, shankh bhasma, praval pishti etc. Herbs and minerals used for the formulation of these tablets show antioxidant, aphrodiasic, analgesic and immuno modulator properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
6. Ashwagandha Tablet – Ashwagandha is an ancient medicinal herb that have multiple benefits. It shows effect deeply and provide nourishment to deep situated dhatus (muscles). The tablet increases muscle mass and provide strength to the whole body. Further, it shows anti-cancerous properties that prevent further spreading of infections.
Recommended Dosage – Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
7. Trikatu Syrup – Trikatu syrup is considered as the best Ayurvedic remedy in pacifying the Vata Doshas and has amazing results in curing this condition. TRIKATU SYRUP is purely Ayurvedic formulation made up of three herbs. CAC Trikatu Syrup helps to eliminate excess Kapha or mucous from the body, supports respiratory system, manages weight, helps to take out impurities or ama from the body, supports healthy detoxification, reduces swelling. It shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, expectorant, antioxidant properties. This syrup is made up of equal parts of three herbs such as Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), & Marich (Piper nigrum) that maintains the metabolism in the body. It is an Appetizer and it improves digestion, supports normal gastric function, and normal circulation.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.