Leprosy disease is a chronic, reformist bacterial contamination caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium leprae. It basically influences the nerves of the limits, the skin, the coating of the nose, and the upper respiratory lot. Sickness is otherwise called Hansen’s illness.
In Ayurveda, it is called as kushtha.
Involment of Doshas in Leprosy:
All kinds of Kushthas have their cause from Vata, Pita, Kapha and Krimi when any body of the doshas become dominating the Kushtha is named after that desha.. Discolouration of the skin is the main indication of the illness. The main factor is the acknowledgment of the presence of Krimi in Kushtha roga portrayed.
Types of Leprosy:
- Intermediate Leprosy.
- Tuberculoid Leprosy
- Borderline tuberculoid Leprosy
- Mid-borderline Leprosy
- Borderline Leprosy
- Lepromatous Leprosy
Ayurvedic types of kushtha
Mahakushta or Major Skin Diseases:
The seven sorts of Mahakushta are Kaapaala (Kapala) Kushta, Audumbara (Oudumbara) Kushta, Mandala Kushta, Rushyajihwa (Rishyajihwa) Kushta, Pundareeka (Pundarika) Kushta, Sidhma Kushta, Kaakana (Kakana) Kushta.
Kshudra Kushta or Minor Skin Diseases
The eleven kinds of Kshudra Kushta are Eka Kushta, Charmakhya Kushta, Kitibha Kushta, Vaipadika Kushta, Alasaka Kushta, Dadru Kushta, Charmadala Kushta, Pama Kushta, Visphota Kushta, Shataru Kushta, Vicharchika Kushta.
- These eleven sorts of Kshudra Kushta can be characterized dependent on the predominance of the three doshas.
- Skin sicknesses, because of a predominant Vata dosha, cause the skin to evaporate, become harsh and create dark or dim discolouration with pinpricking torment.
- If there should arise an occurrence of Pitta strength, people experience skin issues with a copying sensation, foul smell, pustular release and red discolouration.
- Kapha prevailing skin sicknesses show as white discolouration, tingling sensation, cold and contaminated injuries.
Etiology factors of Leprosy:
- Incongruent articles of diet.
- Concealment or incitement of the normal Physiological working of the framework.
- Inconsistencies in diet and day-by-day activities.
- Mental manner of a wicked sort.
- Excessive intercourse.
- Excessive actual exercise.
Symptoms of Leprosy:
A few symptoms of disease may include:
- Developments on the skin
- Sores that don’t mend for an extensive stretch of time
- Ulcers on the bottoms of feet
- Thick, hardened or dry skin
- Deadness in the hands, arms, feet and legs
- Amplified nerves (particularly around the elbow and knee)
- Nosebleeds or potentially a stodgy nose
- Sores on the body that are not receptive to contact
- Skin sores lighter than the individual’s typical skin tone
- Muscle shortcoming particularly in the hands and feet
- Eye issues that may prompt visual impairment
Complications of Leprosy:
- Visual deficiency
- Kidney disappointment
- Muscle shortcoming.
- Disfiguration of the face
- Barrenness and Erectile brokenness in men
- Lasting harm to the nerves inside the mind
- Lasting harm to the nose from within bringing about nose dying
Treatment of Leprosy:
- Virechana (Purgation therpy)
- Lepa of herbal medicine
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.