Amalpitta is one of the commonest vyadhis(diseases) of annavahasrotas(Gastro intestinal tract), caused by vitiated agni(digestive fire).It is considered Pitta Kapha pradhan Tridoshaj vyadhi(Caused by multiple factors. Intermittent loose motions followed by constipation is described as one of its symptoms in Ayurveda. In Amalpitta the quantity of Pachak pitta(Gastric juices) is increased and its quality of normal bitter taste(alkaline) is changed to sour taste(acidic) as a result of fermentation.
Dietary reasons :
- Incompatible diet(Fast food, spicy food, junk food)
- Adhyashan (food or snacking after a meal)
- Ama bhojan (consuming food even though previous food is no digested)
- Guru and snigdha bhojan (Heavy and oily food)
- Constant indigestion.
- Excessive dry food items
Lifestyle factors :
- Ratrijagran (Staying awake at night)
- More exercise than normal
- Fasting alot
- Diwasvapan (Sleeping at daytime)
- Vegadharan (Suppressing natural urges)
- Excessive consumption of Alcohol, tobacco, smoking. They irritate gastric mucosa and increase the secretion of more gastric juices
- Prolonged intake of some medicines (NSAIDS – Pain killers)
- Stress, anxiety. Worrying alot plays an important role in Amalpitta.
- Loss of appetite
- Bloating, fullness of abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling as if stomach is full with little amount of food
- Loose stools followed by constipation.
- Sweet taste in mouth
- Belching, (sour belching)
- Stomach pain and Feeling of burning in stomach and throat
- Feeling of burning in heart region
- Tremors, fainting sometimes
PATHYA AHARA VIHARA (Food habits and lifestyle to be followed)
- Light food, food having cooling properties like coconut water
- Old rice, wheat, barley, cucumber, green gram
- Pumpkin, bitter gourd,Asparagus, Ash gourd,leafy vegetables except methi
- Gooseberry, figs, dry grapes, pomegranates, apple, banana
- One teaspoon of ghee with warm milk
- Dadimpak(Sweet preparation made of pomegranate), gulkand(jam made from rose petals) with milk
- Take adequate sleep and rest
- Have food at fixed intervals, do not skip meals
APATHYA AHARA VIHARA ( Diet and lifestyle that should be avoided)
- Avoid excessive spicy, salty,
- Fried and junk food, fasting
- Over eating, take small frequent meals
- Food containing excess salt, oil, chillies, garlic
- Rice, curd, sour fruits, Black gram, horse gram, mustard oil
- Tea, coffee, aspirin type drugs
- Lying down immediately after eating and in supine position. Best position recommended is left lateral.
- Do not go directly under afternoon sun as it aggravate pitta
- Avoid anger and stress. Practice Pranayama and meditation for the same.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF AMALPITTA
- Avoid causative factors
- Palliative treatment : To pacify pitta and increase the digestive fire
- Avipattikar churan : It helps relieve gastritis quickly. helps with indigestion and constipation. It has ingredients like Triphala and Trikatu. It should be taken in the dose of 1-5gms in the starting of meal or in between meals
- Hinguashtak churan : It improves digestion, helps with bloating and anorexia.
- Patoladi Kwatha : It is a decoction of bitter herbs like Giloy, Patol, Triphala, Pongamia pinnata and Neem. All these bitter herbs pacifies pitta, the main cause of Amalpitta. It should be take before meals or empty stomach, 10-20ml with Honey.
- CAC Amalpitta mishran : It has ingredients like Vasa, Guduchi, Nimba, Chirayata etc all bitter and pitta pacifying herbs. It strengthens metabolic rate and enhances digestive fire. Helps with heart burn, nausea, abdominal pain, bloating, belching.
- Panchkarma treatment : When patient cannot be managed with oral medications, therapies like Vaman(emesis), Virechana(Purgation) are administered accordingly. In some chronic cases Asthapana basti (Medicated enima) is given.
FEW SINGLE DRUGS
- Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus) : With milk, 3gms twice a day
- Yashtimadhu (Liquorice) : Twice a day with milk, 3-5gms
- Indian Gooseberry : Powder with milk.
- Shunthi (Dry ginger) : 1-3 gms daily twice with water.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.