- Netra Tarpana is most often recommended practice in Ayurveda for Netra Roga Chikitsa. Netra Tarpana is a procedure done in ayurveda to provide nourishment to the eyes.
- Tarpana may help to nourish eyes, increase blood circulation to the affected area, gets rid dosha imbalances, strengthens the eye muscles and helps in improving vision.
What is Netra Tarpana ?
‘Netra Tarpana’ is made up of two words –
- Netra – means Eye
- Tarpana – means Nourishment
So Netra Tarpana means ‘Nourishment of Eye’ or a procedure which is done for eye nourishment. Akshi tarpana is another name used for Netra Tarpana. This procedure is effectively used for nourishment and strengthening of the eyes, cures the eye diseases.
In this procedure , warm medicated ghee is kept over the eyes for a certain duration by making a ring of barley or black gram flour over the eye socket.
Benefits of Netra tarpana
- Balances Vata and pitta doshas.
- Improves vision
- Removes dark circles under the eyes
- Rejuvenates tired, dry , rough and injured eyes
- Strengthens the nerves and muscles of the eyes
- Prevents from various diseases of eyes
Indications of Netra Tarpana
Akshi tarpana is done in following conditions
- Irritation in eyes after exposure to light
- Feeling of darkness in front of eyes
- Stiffness or rigidity in the eyes
- Dry eye syndromes
- Injury to the eye
- Diseases of the eyes caused due to vitiation of Vata and pitta dosha
- Abnormal deviation of eye ball
- Eye lashes falling down
- Dirtiness of eyes
- Difficulty to open or close the eyes
- In case of Acute orbital cellulitis
- Phylectenular conjunctivitis
- Hyperaemia of conjunctiva
- Atrophy of the cranial nerves
- Keratitis or Redness of eyes, tearing, pain, irritation
- Refractive errors of eye
Contraindications of Netra Tarpana
Netra tarpana should not be done in following conditions
- On a Cloudy , very hot or cold day
- When a Person is worried or not in stable condition
- After physical exhaustion
- When complications like severe inflammation, redness , severe pain in the eyes etc.
Procedure of Netra Tarpana
Purvakarma (Pre-treatment procedure) –
Some Preparations are done before the main procedure of the akshi tarpana . These involves
Preparation of the patient: Examination of patient is done to know the basic constitution or prakriti and Vikriti. On the basis of which- line of treatment and medications used in the procedures are decided.
Preparation of the treatment
All the materials needed for the procedure should be collected before the procedure.These may include –
- Medicated ghrita ,
- Flour of black gram for construction ring around the eyes.
- Stoves , bowls , vessels
- Sterile clothes / cotton / tissue paper
- Material needed for dhoompana
Immediate procedures – Before doing netra tarpana , detoxification / cleansing of the body should be done . To do so procedures like vamana , virechana, shiro virechana are done.
Preparation of flour for ring – Flour of barley and black gram should be mixed in a vessel by adding water and some oil. The mixture is made into bolus. . From this, 2 small rings will be prepared around the eye ball.
Preparation of the medicine – The ghee which is to be used for Netra Tarpanam should be warmed . For this, the required quantity of ghee is put in asmall bowl and this The bowl is placed in a big vessel having hot water. Check the temperature . As the medicine should be administered lukewarm.
Pradhan Karma – Main procedure
After explaining the whole procedure to the patient , The procedure of the akshi tarpana should be start
Time of the Netra tarpana – The treatment should be done in ‘Sadharana Kala’ i.e. in which neither too hot nor too cold. The treatment should be done in the morning or evening time or at both times . This procedure is done for 30 minutes.
Position of the patient: The patient is made to lie down in . Neck support should be given .
Construction of ring around the eye: The rings of flour are made over the eye sockets . The height of the ring should be of 2 angula’s . It should be done properly to prevent any kind of leakage of ghrita.
Filling the Tarpana Ring with medicine – Lukewarm medicated ghee (ghrita) is gently poured in the rings so that the eyes are dipped within the medicine. Eyes of patient should be closed while dropping the medicine in the ring. Later he or she is instructed to open and close the eyes repeatedly so that the interior of eyes come into the contact of the medicines . The medications are left in place for fixed duration of time . After certain time medications are removed.
Duration of tarpana
- Disesaes of eye lids – 100 matra kala
- Disesaes of joits of eye – 300 matra kala
- Disesaes of sclera – 500 matra kala
- Disesaes of cornea , iris – 700 matra kala
- Disesaes of retina & vision – 800 matra kala
- Glaucoma – 1000 matra kala
- Vata roga – 1000 matra kala
- Pitta roga – 800 matra kala
- Kapha roga – 600 matra kala
- Swastha roga – 500 matra kala
- In vata roga – tarpana should be done daily
- In pitta roga – on alternate day
- In kapha roga & swastha – on every day 4th
Signs of properly done Tarpana
- Tolerance to light
- Clarity of vision
- Feeling of lightness in eyes
- Good sleep
- Reduction of eye diseases
Signs of improperly done Tarpana
- Heaviness in eyes
- Improper sleep
- Intolerance to light
- Lack of clarity of vision
- Dryness of eyes
- Increase in disease or symptoms
Signs of overly done Tarpana
- Heaviness in eyes
- Increase of oilyness in eyes
- Itching in eyes
- Coating in eyes
- Excessive lacrimation
Removing the medicine – The medicine is removed by creating a small hole in the ring at the outer canthus of eye . After that wiping the eyes and the surrounding area is done with the help of sterile cotton or cloth.
Dhumapana – After wiping of the eyes , herbal smoking should be given to patient to eliminate the Kapha which has been exaggerated due to the administration of Ghrita and or Ghrita Manda in Netra Tarpana.
All of these procedures should be done properly to take complete netra tarpana benefits.
Importance of Netra tarpana
Eyes are the most important organ of the body . So it is very important to take proper care of eyes and keep them healthy. Akshi Tarpana/ Netra Tarpana is an excellent soothing, relaxing eye treatment to rejuvenate eyes and surrounding tissues. Akshi tarpana is the best care of eyes using ayurveda.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.