PCOD/PCOS is known as Polycystic Ovarian Disease or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. PCOD caused due to Hormonal Imbalance in females. PCOD causes menstrual problems in females and also makes it difficult to conceive the pregnancy. This Hormonal imbalance can cause multiple small cysts on the outer edges of ovaries, due to hormonal imbalance the ovaries get enlarged and swelled. There is excessive production of Hormones that is Androgen and Oestrogen, and this causes various body problems. PCOD symptoms include menstrual irregularity, obesity, acne, and facial hair growth.
CAUSES OF PCOD/PCOS:-
- Excessive production of Insulin Hormone from the Pancreas.
- Hyperandrogenism:- Excessive production of male hormones.
- Early age menarche
- Unhealthy Lifestyle
- Mental Stress
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS OF PCOD/PCOS:-
There Are Some Common Sign And Symptoms Of Polycystic Ovarian Disease, These are followings:-
- Amenorrhea:- Irregular Periods or skipped periods, occurring every two to three months.
- Secondary Amenorrhea:- In this Sometimes no periods during puberty.
- Menorrhagia:- Heavy Bleeding
- Hirsutism:- Unusual growth of hairs on body and face.
- Acne Vulgaris:- Due to the excessive production of Androgen, Acne can occur that refuses to heal with unusual treatments.
- Obesity:- Uncontrolled weight gain, especially around the waist area.
- Acanthosis Nigricans:- Darkness or pigmentation of skin around the neck region.
- Voice Gets Deeper
- Moods Disorder.
- Male-pattern baldness.
- PCOD caused due to the disorder of Androgen hormones, and that affecting several systems of the body.
- Hyperinsulinemia:- The main pathology behind PCOD is Insulin Resistance and Hyperinsulinemia. Insulin regulates the sugar levels in the body. Due to insulin resistance, there is the inability of cells to respond to the action of Insulin in transporting Sugar (glucose) from the bloodstream into the muscles and other tissues of the body. The pancreas produces more insulin to combat the high glucose.
- Thinning Hairs.
- Skin Tags.
- Eating Disorder.
- Decreased Breast Size.
- Enlargement of The Clitoris.
Uncontrolled PCOD can cause so many problems in the body, These are as following:-
- Infertility:- Difficulty In Conceiving
- Metabolic Syndrome:-
∙ High Blood Glucose Level.
∙ High Blood Pressure.
∙ Low Level of HDL “good” cholesterol
∙ High level of LDL “bad” cholesterol
- Increased risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
- There is increased risk for perinatal complications such as gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia in Patients with PCOS who become pregnant.
- PCOD increased the risk of endometrial cancers.
- PCOD can also, cause increase cholesterol levels in the blood.
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer.
- In The patients of PCOD there is a limited capacity of the ovaries to produce healthy eggs.
- PCOD also affects the quality of eggs.
- Increased risk of Heart diseases
- Sleep Apnea:- Difficulty in breathing during sleep, which interrupt sleep
- Endometrial Cancer:- During the ovulation period,the uterine lining sheds. If the patient does not ovulate every month, this lining can build up. A thickened uterine lining can increase the risk for endometrial cancer in the patient.
- Depression And Anxiety:- The imbalanced hormones levels and symptoms like unwanted facial hair growth can negatively affect on patient’s emotions. Many patients with PCOS eventually suffered from Anxiety and Depression.
- High Androgen Levels
- Cysts In Ovaries
- Irregular Menstrual levels
- Facial And Body Hair Growth
- Increased Cholesterol and Triglyceride Level causes Heart Diseases
- Increased Insulin levels cause Diabetes
- Ultrasound:- Used to detect the abnormal follicles and other ovaries and uterus problems.
ACCORDING TO AYURVEDA:-
According to Ayurveda, PCOD/PCOD caused due to the imbalance in Rasa Dhatu and Rakta Dhatu in the body. When the level of toxins and impurities increase in Rasa Dhatu and Rakta Dhatu, The body stored that toxins and impurities in the form of cysts around the ovaries. “CHANDIGARH AYURVEDIC CENTER” has formulated the pure Ayurvedic Medicines are known as “PCOD RELIEF KIT”, which treat PCOD/PCOD from its root cause.
This Kit contains Five Ayurvedic products, which are mentioned below:-
PCOD RELIEF KIT
Kachnaar Guggul Tablet is an Ayurvedic medicine that gave relief to PCOS patients. These all herbs in combination reduce the size of the cyst and remove it out. It also reduces inflammation in the body.
This herbal tablet is prepared from ayurvedic herbs like:-
- Kanchnaar ( Bauhinia variegata)
- Haritaki ( Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki ( Terminalia bellirica)
- Amalaki (Phyllanthus emblica)
- Shunthi ( Zingiber officinale )
- Kali Mirch ( Piper nigrum )
- Pippali ( Piper longum)
- Varuna ( Crataeva nurvala )
Recommended Dosage: Two Tablets Twice A Day with normal water.
Stri Poshak Syrup:-
Stri Poshak Syrup is an Ayurvedic herbal syrup that is beneficial in PCOS patients. This herbal syrup in combination has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, properties. That maintains the reproductive system of a woman.
This Syrup contains herbal medicines like:-
- Ashok Chall ( Saraca indica )
- Lodhra Chall ( Symplocos racemosa )
- Khadir Chall ( Acacia catechu)
- Guduchi ( Tinospora cordifolia)
Recommended Dosage: Two Teaspoonful Twice a day.
Stree Vyadhihari Rasa:-
Stress Vyadhihari Rase tablet balances hormones in the body. This also nourishes the female reproductive system and it is beneficial in PCOS patients.
Stree Vyadhihari Rasa is an Ayurvedic herbal medicine that contains ingredients like:-
- Sootikabharan rasa (that contain various bhasma)
- Latakaranja ( Caesalpinia bonduc )
- Shunthi ( Zingiber officinale)
- Maricha ( Piper nigrum)
- Pippali ( Piper longum)
- Lashuna ( Allium sativum )
Recommended Dosage: One tablet twice a daily with normal water.
Stri Poshak Capsules
Stri Poshak capsules reduces the size of the cyst and remove the cyst out from the body. These capsules also reduce inflammation, pain, fatigue, irregular menses, excessive bleeding, etc conditions. Stri Poshak capsules contain ayurvedic ingredients like:-
- Ashok Chall (Saraca asoca)
- Lodhra Chall (Symplocos racemosa)
- Amalaki ( Emblica officinalis)
- Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea)
PCOD Sachet is an Ayurvedic herbal medicine. This sachet are formulation by Chandigarh Ayurveda and Panchkarma center. These sachets contain ingredients like:-
- Parwal pishti
- Imli shaar
- Giloy satv
- Jahar mohra pishti
- Shwet parpati, etc.
Recommended Dosage: One Sachet twice a day with normal water.
PANCHAKARMA TREATMENT IN PCOD/PCOS
In Panchakarma Treatment helps in detoxifying, cleansing, restoring the hormone levels and helps in metabolism in the body. There are four Panchakarma therapies which gave a good result and successful management in PCOS. These Panchakarma therapies are mentioned below in detail:
- Abhyanga (Massage):- In this therapy, the medicated oil massage is given to the patient.
- Basti (Enemas):- In Ayurveda, The Basti contains various Ayurvedic medicinal herbal ghee, herbal oils, and kashaya. Basti chikitsa is one of the most effective therapies in PCOS patients, It also used to boosting fertility and helps in healthy conception. Basti involves the medicated enemas performed over a specific number of days.
- Vamana (Vomiting):- In Panchakarma Vamana is a procedure that used to cleansing and detoxifying the body. This therapy involves systematic and planned removal of toxins by inducing emesis. Vamana is very helpful in balancing the hormones, it boosts the fertility of the patient and also helps in weight loss. Vamana is used for long-term successful management of PCOD or PCOS.
- Virechan (Detoxifying therapy):- In Panchakarma Virechan is the procedure that is used to detoxifying the body, and remove toxins by inducing purgation. Virechan helps to increase bowel movements. Virechan is also very effective in PCOS, Irregular periods, and hormonal imbalance.
HEALTHY TIPS AND DIET FOR PCOS PATIENTS:-
There are some healthy tips and diet that provides a good result in PCOS patients:-
- Drink low-fat milk by adding a spoon of turmeric to it.
- Eat more fruits like apples, papaya, grape, pineapple, oranges, and pears.
- Reduce the intake of refining Glucose. Honey is goods for reducing Kapha.
- Beans are recommended.
- Nuts should be avoided.
- In PCOD Spices should take only in moderate quantities.
- Vegetable such as sweet potatoes and potatoes should be avoided.
- Follow a good lifestyle that will balance the doshas in your body.
- Negative thoughts or feelings like tension and stress should be avoided.
- Decrease the use of contraceptive pills.
- Follow an active and good lifestyle
- Do daily exercise, yoga, and pranayama.
- Daily perform yoga poses like bhujangasana, naukasana, dhanurasana, balasana, padmasana.
- Stop Smoking, drinking alcohol, and using narcotics drugs.
- Stop eating high calorie diet such as carbohydrate, sugar drinks, fat-rich diet, bakery foods, and fast foods.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.