Pulmonary arterial hypertension is also named as pulmonary hypertension. It is a life-threatening condition if left untreated for prolonged time. Pulmonary arterial hypertension is having high blood pressure that affects arteries in the right side of heart or in lungs.
In pulmonary arterial hypertension the pulmonary arterioles (tiny arteries in lungs), & capillaries get destroyed, blocked, & narrowed. This condition raises pressure in lungs & makes harder to make proper flow of blood through lungs. When the pressure is build the right ventricle of the heart is not able to flow blood through lungs. This makes the heart muscle weak and create a heart
Table of Contents
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
The signs & symptoms of pulmonary arterial hypertension are not noticeable in months or even years. All signs and symptoms that are seen are mentioned below:
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- Pain in chest
- Syncope (Dizziness)
- Swelling in legs, abdomen, & ankles
- Heart palpitations
- Raised pulse
- Cyanosis (Bluish discoloration of skin & lips)
- Shortness of breath
- Pressure on chest
- Raised heartbeat
- Dry cough
- Sometimes blood during coughing
What are the Causes of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
In pulmonary arterial hypertension the raised blood pressure is due to changes in the cells that line pulmonary arteries. The changes cause the arteries wall stiff & thick. These blood vessels become tight & inflamed. There are five main causes of pulmonary arterial hypertension mentioned below in detail:
- The cause for it is due to idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension, heritable pulmonary arterial hypertension, congenital heart disease, certain drugs like methamphetamines, other health conditions like lupus, scleroderma, liver cirrhosis, or HIV infection.
- The pulmonary hypertension due to left-sided heart disease like aortic valve or mitral valve disease.
- The another cause for pulmonary hypertension are lung diseases like emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis.
- Chronic blood clots are another reason for pulmonary hypertension.
- Blood disorders, Sarcoidosis, glycogen storage disease, & tumors are the causes of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Who are at the Higher Risk of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
The risk factors that are responsible for pulmonary arterial hypertension are:
- The young adults are at higher risk
- Family history
- Illegal drugs like cocaine
- Appetite-suppressant medicines
- Family history of hypertension
What is the Ayurvedic View of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
According to Ayurveda the pulmonary arterial hypertension is due to imbalance of all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, & Kapha). So the main aim is to maintain these imbalanced dosha in the body.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
In Ayurveda there are various herbs that are formulated to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension and balance all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) naturally. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces a “Pulmonary arterial hypertension care kit” that contains four products in it.
All products description in detail:
1. Navaka Guggulu
This guggulu is prepared from ingredients Long pepper, Haritaki, Amalaki, Musta, Ginger, Vidanga, Guggulu, etc. The signs & symptoms related to pulmonary arterial hypertension. Navaka Guggulu reduces cholesterol naturally & removes all blockages.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 tablets twice daily before meals.
2. Panchsakar Churna
This is a classical herbal churna prepared from ingredients such as Ginger, Swarnapatri, Shatapushpa, Balaharitaki, & Saindhava lavana. It balances all three dosha (vata, pitta, kapha) in the body. The use of churna helps in overall detoxification of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful with lukewarm water at bedtime.
3. Detox Premium Powder
This herbal powder is prepared from ingredients such as moti pishti, parwal pishti, giloy satv, gandhak rasayan, etc. The uses of this herbal powder help in overall detoxification of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
4. Trikatu tablet
These herbal tablets are prepared from herbs like Black Pepper, Long Pepper, & Dried Ginger. All the signs & symptoms related to pulmonary arterial hypertension are treated with the use of these tablets.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily before meal.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension?
If the condition of the patient is stable than panchakarma treatment is advised otherwise ayurvedic medicines are sufficient. The panchkarma therapies that are recommended to these patients are:
- Abhayanga: In this massage with herbal oils are recommended to the patients.
- Patra potli pind sweda: In this procedure, a potli is prepared with medicated leaves after that it is put in medicated oil. The massage of whole body is done with this potli over the chest region.
- Urobasti: In this a ring like structure of flour is made on the chest region. After that lukewarm oil is put in this ring let it for few minutes after that with sponge it is soaked. This is repeated three to four times.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Patients
- Include green vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water & green coconut water.
- Avoid oily, fried, processed, & fast food products.
- Do perform walk & exercise for 30 mins daily.
- Include vegetables like bottle gourd, ridge gourd, bitter gourd, carrot, beetroot, radish, turnip, broccoli, spinach, fenugreek, pumpkin, etc.
- Eat fruits like banana, apple, pomegranate, orange, muskmelon, watermelon, mango, etc.
- Reduce excessive salt intake.
- Do perform yoga poses and meditation.
- Perform anulom vilom pranayam, bhastrika pranayam, and kapalbhati pranayam.
- Take eight hour sleep to keep your mind healthy.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.