In Ayurveda science, amenorrhea is known as Anartava. According to acharya charaka women is suffering from diseases due to aggravated tata. Vitiated vata is responsible for the vishamta of doshas. Anartava is a disease due to vata but other doshas can also cause it. Both vata and pitta can play a role in Anartava but the most common factor responsible for disease is vata.
CLASSIFICATION OF AMENORRHEA-
There are two types of amenorrhea
Normally women menstruate first at the age of 14 and 15 and women fails to menstruate at this age this condition is called primary amenorrhea.
Secondary amenorrhea occurs when menstrual cycle disturbed for two and three months
Variety of factors can cause secondary amenorrhea include-
- Emotional stress
- Overactive thyroid gland
- Mental stress
- Excessive exercise
- Ovarian tumors
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
CLINICAL FEATURES OF AMENORRHEA-
- Milky nipple discharge
- Changes in breast size
- Vaginal dryness
- Hair loss
- Vision changes
- Extra facial hair
- Pelvic pain
- Thyroid function (thyroid-stimulating hormone, or TSH, levels).
- Ovary function (follicle-stimulating hormone, or FSH, and luteinizing hormone, or LH, levels).
- Testosterone (“male hormone”) levels, which can detect PCOS.
- Estrogen (“female hormone”) levels.
BEST HERBS FOR AMENORRHEA-
Chitraka, kumari, Lasuna, pippali, guggulu, satapuspa and shatavari are best herbs for woman who suffers from amenorrhoea.
- Along with mahayograj guggul and raja pravartini vati, kumari asav helps to bring on menstruation.
- It also acts on ovaries and corrects the ovarian functions and induces ovulation.
- It may also influence female hormones and helps to normalize and balance hormone levels, which may help bringing on menstrual periods.
- kumari asav increases menstrual blood flow and regulates the menstrual periods.
- Kumara is beneficial when patient has scanty menstruation and less bleeding.
- If bleeding is heavy, then ashokarishta should be given and if bleeding is less, then kumari asav is beneficial.
- Pippali has Vata balancing property and gives relief in amenorrhea.
- It controls aggravated Vata and reduces abdominal pain and cramps during the menstrual cycle.
- Shatavari scientifically known as Asparagus racemosus is the most significant herb for women.
- It is known as a Rasayana, or rejuvenating, immunity-boosting herb.
- Shatavari cleanses and nourishes the female reproductive organs.
- Shatavari Kalpa is extremely useful for women’s reproductive health.
PANCHAKARMA TREATMENT FOR AMENORRHEA–
Ayurvedic detoxification (Panchakarma) is recommended as the first stage of Ayurvedic management.
Sroto rodha will be relieved and proper nourishment will take place after the Panchakarma.
Abhyanga and Swedana
Ayurvedic Snehana and Swedana are very good for pacifying vata dosha and nourishes the system. For snehana karma Dhanwantaram oil is particularly appropriate. The Udvartnam karma with Triphala powder is highly effective in combating amenorrhea.
The sneha will counteract the ruksha qualities of vata, abhyanga using chitraka, guduchi, bala with boiled milk and tila taila helps with the downward movement of Vata.
Useful ghrtas are Phalaghrta and Vrhatsatavari.
In amenorrhea Nadi swedana is recommended with vata pacifying drugs.
Medicated enema is highly beneficial for treating the condition
- The udhbhava sthana of Arajaska is the Amashaya and pakwashaya.
- The pakwashaya is the sthana of vata.
- Basti is given to eliminate the aggravated vayu from
- Anuvasana help to encourage the downward movement of Vata.
- The therapy has a Vata-pacifying effect (Vata Shaman) while also unblocking the Purishvaha srotas.
Uttara basti –
- Medicated oils are applied directly inside the uterus.
- This treatment is indicated in yoni vyapat.
- Uttara basti improves the endometrial thickness and stimulates ovulation.
- Phala Ghritham is used for Uttara Basti.
- In case of an underdeveloped uterus, the therapy is performed with Kshara Tailam.
- Kasis Tailam is used for patients with blocked tubes.
- Uttara Basti helps to encourage the downward movement of Vata.
- This is known as Anuloman, meaning to facilitate the downward movement through action.
- The therapy has a Vata-pacifying effect (Vata Shaman) while also unblocking the Artavavahi. the Purishvaha srotas.
- Uttara Basti was given for Sthanik Shodhana.
- On ovary, the effect of drug will be after absorption and then by promoting the Hypothalamo-Pituitary-Ovarian axis, thus Uttarbasti acts locally.
- Samsodhana ensures as a complete eradication of Vikruta Doshas and increases Agneya condition of the body which is resulting into relative increase in Artava.
Ayurvedic Formulations for Amenorrhea
• Hinguvachadi Churnam
• Gulguluthiktham Kashayam
• Sukumaram Kashayam
YOGA THERAPY FOR AMENORRHEA-
DIET AND LIFESTYLE-
- Take Warm, nutritious and easily digested foods such as Kitchari and soups give the GI tract a rest and facilitate cleansing, as does drinking hot water throughout the day.
- Alcohol should be avoided
- Regular meditation and relaxation therapy are important to decrease mental stress.
- Fear, worry and anxiety are “anti-menses” emotions.
- Daily oil massage with dosha appropriate oil can be helpful in restoring balance.
CAC amenorrhea care kit-
- Rajapravartini Vati-Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
- Stri- Poshak Syrup- Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
- Stri – Poshak Capsules- Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
- Ashwagandha Tablet- Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
- Femine care tablets- Take 1 tablet twice daily.
- Rasayan Vati -Take 1 tablet twice daily.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.