Leucorrhoea is a medical condition in which there is thick white fluid discharged from the female genital and mainly experienced during puberty when sexual organs are developing in a woman. This condition up to a certain extent is normal and healthy as it flushes out the dead and other toxic organisms cells from reproductive organs. In healthy women, the discharge is whitish in color but if the discharge is abnormal then it may be whitish, yellowish, reddish, and blackish in color. This may require a medical check-up. Leucorrhoea is common in pregnancy. It is also normal in adolescent age and may sometimes be evident in newborn girls too.
What are the causes of leucorrhoea?
Here are some of the causes of leucorrhoea:
- Unprotected sexual contact
- Lack of nutrients
- Poor hygiene
- Injuries to the cervix or any of the tissues in the reproductive system during pregnancy
- UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
- Various infections due to the presence of bacteria or fungi
- Irritation due to contraceptives that are inserted into the vagina
- Irritation due to external contraceptives
- Diabetes mellitus
What are the symptoms of leucorrhoea?
The most common symptom of leucorrhoea is a foul smell from vaginal discharge. But if it is combined with other symptoms then it may create a serious health issue:
- Stomach cramps or pain
- Pain in the calves and lumbar region
Chandigarh Ayurved Centre is providing home remedies for treating leucorrhoea. Here are some the home remedies:
Neem is considered to be the best herb as it has antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, & antiseptic properties. It has been used in Ayurveda for many ages for various health issues. Hence it is most beneficial in treating leucorrhoea.
How to use:
- Prepare juice from fresh neem leaves 20 ml twice daily with an equal amount of water.
- Take fresh leaves of neem and boil them. Let the water cool down and strain the mixture. Wash your vagina with this water.
- The application of neem oil over the affected area of the vagina is also very beneficial.
Amla is also known as Indian gooseberry and it shows antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibiotic, and immuno-modulator properties. It is the most wonderful herb that has so many medicinal properties.
How to use:
- Take one tsp of Amla powder with a glass of water once daily.
- You can also use that powder in the form of a paste that should be applied to the affected area of the vaginal tract. Apply it twice daily for good & effective results.
- Eating fresh fruit of Amla maintains the overall health of an individual.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is very beneficial for leucorrhoea patients because it helps in managing excessive discharge, itching, and burning sensation. It also helps to tone up the uterine tissue and provides strength to the uterus.
How to use:
- Prepare fresh juice of Aloe vera and drink it twice daily.
- You can also apply a fresh pulp of Aloe vera over the affected area of the vagina.
- Mix Aloe vera and water in equal quantity. Wash your vagina with this water to get relief from itching, and irritation associated with leucorrhoea.
The herb fenugreek is used for various medicinal properties. It provides good results in dealing with the pain, swelling, & vaginal irritation related to leucorrhoea patients.
How to use:
- Take a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water and soak it overnight. Strain this mixture and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
- The use of fresh leaves of fenugreek is very beneficial in your daily routine.
- You can also take a teaspoonful of fenugreek powder with a glass of water once or twice daily.
Coriander is the most useful herb as it has antioxidant property that removes all toxins out from the body. It all kills the microbes which are the main cause of leucorrhoea.
How to use
- Take a teaspoonful of coriander seeds and boil them in cups of water. Let it boil until it remains to a half cup. Strain it and then drink this once daily.
- Use fresh leaves of coriander for cooking purposes that also helps in treating leucorrhea.
- Its seed’s decoction can also be used for washing the vagina.
The leaves of walnut have astringent properties that heal the infection fast. It is one of the best effective home remedies for leucorrhoea.
How to use:
- Take fresh leaves of walnut and boil them in water for 15 to 20 minutes. Let it cool down. Remove the water and use this water for cleaning the vagina.
- Prepare a powder of walnut dry leaves. Mix them in water and then boil this for half an hour. After that strain it and let it cool down. Use this for washing your vagina.
- Soak the walnut overnight in a glass of water and eat it early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Coconut also shows various medicinal properties like antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties. It eliminates the toxins from the body, kills microbes and hence treats the symptoms associated with leucorrhea.
How to use:
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Coconut oil can be directly applied to the affected part of the vagina in leucorrhea patients.
- You can also mix coconut oil with a few drops of neem oil in it. Apply this mixture over the affected area for getting relief from pain, itching, & burning sensation in leucorrhea patients.
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.