Acidity is the only problem that interferes your daily activities. About 150 million people suffer from digestive diseases that ultimately give birth to the acidity. The excessive formation of acid in the body gives rise to many other diseases.
The wrong eating habits (eating excessive junk food, spicy food, processed food), sedentary lifestyle (not doing any activities like exercise, playing games, sports, etc), prolonged sitting jobs is the major reason for acidity. Acidity is the acid reflux that leads to heartburn in the lower chest when stomach acid flows back into the food pipe. When a person fell acid reflux for more than twice a week he/she is finally diagnosed with Gastroesophageal reflux disease. People use to take antacids for a long period that causes side-effects on the body. So instead of that, you should start with ayurvedic and herbal treatment.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Acidity?
The signs & symptoms that are easily noticeable in acidity patients are:
- Burning sensation in the chest region
- Bad breath
- Sore throat
- Pain in abdomen
- Dry cough
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Mouth ulcers
- Itching on the body
- General weakness
What are the Causes of Acidity?
There are different causes that can form the acidity in an individual mentioned below:
- Eating food items that are not healthy like (fried food, cheese, butter, processed food, pickle, spicy food, papad, maggie, & pasta, etc).
- Obesity is the main reason for acidity.
- Drinking beverages like coffee, alcohol, carbonated drink, tea, etc.
- Excessive intake of food items like tomato, onions, garlic, citrus fruits, chocolate, red chilies, green chilies, etc.
- Drinking alcohol
- Being pregnant
- Excessive intake of blood pressure medications, aspirin, ibuprofen, muscle relaxant, etc.
- Not performing any activities like playing games, sports, exercise, yoga, etc.
- Excessive consumption of non-vegetarian food.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Acidity?
Ayurveda has numerous herbs in nature that reduce all the signs & symptoms of acidity. Acidity is correlated with “Amalpitta” in Ayurveda. The imbalance of mainly pitta dosha is there as compared to others. So the ayurvedic medicines work on the root cause to balance excess pitta in the body. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre provides a complete pack known as “Acidity Care Kit” for the herbal treatment of Acidity without causing any side-effects in the body. This herbal pack comprises of four products in it that contain various herbs creating cooling & calming effect in the body.
All products description in detail:
1. Digestion Care Sachet
These are herbal sachets that have been prepared from various ingredients that show calming and cooling effect on the stomach.
- Parval pishti: This pishti reduces burning sensation, heartburn, pain in chest, headache, etc related to acidity.
- Sutshekhar ras: It mainly balances pitta dosha in the body. Sutshekhar ras treats heartburn, nausea, headache, abdominal pain, etc.
- Shukta pishti: This pishti remove all toxins out from the body due to its antioxidant nature.
- Shankh bhasma: The problems related to acidity like abdominal pain, indigestion, acid reflux, loss of appetite, heartburn, chest pain, etc are treated with this bhasma.
- Shwet parpati: This parpati reduces pain, acid reflux, constipation, indigestion, etc issues.
- Kamdudha ras: Kamdudha ras reduces excess pitta, heartburn, excessive heat, burning sensation, tenderness, etc.
- Giloy satv: It reduces the acidity by acting on its root cause.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 sachet with normal water twice daily.
2. Amlapitta Mishran
As we know that acidity is correlated with Amalpitta so for relieving it Amlapitta mishran is an ayurvedic preparation. This herbal syrup contains various herbs like Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Vasa ( Justicia Adhatoda), Patol (Trichosanthes dioica), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), etc. In combination, these herbs balance excess pitta & the symptoms related to acidity.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
3. Agnimukha Churna
As the name suggests it relieves you from excess agni (Pitta) in the body. This herbal churna contains ingredients like Vacha (Acorus calamus), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Pippali (Piper longum), etc. Problems like bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain, indigestion, loss of appetite, constipation, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take a half teaspoon of this churna with normal water twice daily.
4. Pittashekhar Rasa
Pittashekhar Rasa tablets contain ingredients like Bilva majja, Kapardika bhasma, Sootshekhar rasa, Shankh bhasma, etc that reduces acidity naturally. These tablets maintain pitta dosha in the body, improves digestion, reduces pain in abdomen, heartburn, bloating, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet with normal water twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Acidity?
Panchakarma is another way to treat acidity naturally. As in panchkarma procedures medicated oil, herbs, Ghrita, etc is used for removing it. If a patient follows proper ayurvedic medicines, panchakarma procedures, and diet, then the root cause of acidity will be treated. It will not occur in the future. So Chandigarh Ayurved Centre recommends the best ayurvedic treatment for acidity patients that will show results in few days.
For acidity patient’s deepan, pachan, & virechan is the best procedure.
- Deepan Pachan: In deepan pachan certain dravyas are recommended that to the patients. These Dravya will balance the jatharagni, improve digestion, reduce acidity, bloating, belching, etc.
- Virechan: This procedure will maintain the proper functioning of Agni that will reduce the vidagha awastha of pitta in the body. Virechan will balance the vitiated state of pitta dosha in the body & results in maintaining a proper digestive system. In this procedure, purgation is induced by drugs that will eliminate excess pitta dosha from the body.
Healthy Tips & Diet for Acidity Patients:
- Drink plenty of water and juices prepared at home.
- Include raw vegetables & fruits in your diet as a salad.
- Prepare an herbal tea from 3 to 4 basil leaves, boil in two cups of water until remaining one cup. Strain the mixture, let it cool down, & drink this once.
- Fennel seeds reduce acidity, improves digestion, solve indigestion issues. You can eat one teaspoon of fennel seeds after meals. Or take a teaspoon of fennel seeds in two cups of water. Boil until remaining one cup. Strain the mixture let it cool down and drink this once.
- Drinking buttermilk is good in acidity by adding a pinch of black pepper and rocksalt, & coriander leaves.
- Green coconut water is also good for acidity patients.
- Consume cold milk by adding a pinch of green cardamom & fennel seeds powder in it.
- Eat fruits like papaya, apple, watermelon, muskmelon, banana, apricot, etc.
- Avoid fast & processed food items.
- Add whole grain in your diet and avoid white flour (maida).
- Do perform yoga poses like Kapalbhati Pranayama, Halasana, Bhastrika Pranayam, Vajrasana, Pawanamuktasana, Ushtrasana, & Anulom vilom Pranayam, etc.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.