Best Ayurvedic & Panchakarma Treatment for Constipation
Best Ayurvedic & Panchakarma Treatment for Constipation : Constipation can become a serious problem if not treated on the right time. The sedentary life-style and wrong eating habits of people are responsible for constipation. Most of the people not have the exact knowledge of this disease. When you are facing difficulty to pass stools from several weeks or longer it leads to chronic constipation. In chronic constipation your bowel movements are infrequent. The main work of colon is to absorb water from residual food as it passes through digestive system. When the colon muscle work it throughout waste from the rectum but when the stool in the colon remain for too long it makes the stool hard & difficult to pass out. This is known as constipated bowel. Low fiber diet & inadequate water is the responsible for constipation. With constipation you feel stressed, energy gets low, & your overall activities are disturbed.
What are the Signs & Symptoms of Constipation?
The signs & symptoms may vary from patient to patient mentioned below in detail:
- Hard stools
- Lumpy stools
- The frequency of stool passing decreases three stools in a week.
- Felling it tough to completely empty the stool from your rectum.
- Presence of blockage in rectum that prevents bowel movements.
- Fingers are used for removing stool from rectum.
- When you need to empty your rectum you make pressure on your abdomen.
- Loss of appetite
- Rectal blockage
- Heaviness of body
- Abdominal pain
What are the Causes of Constipation?
The constipation is a common problem that occurs when waste or stool is not able to get eliminated or move too slowly through the rectum. There are different possible reasons for constipation mentioned below in detail:
- Bowel obstruction
- Colon cancer
- Anal fissure
- Rectal cancer
- Bowel stricture
- Abdominal cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Lack of exercise
- Low-fiber diet
- Certain medications like pain killers, calcium, & antacids
Who are at Higher Risk for Constipation?
The people that are at higher risk for constipation are:
- Lack of high fiber diet & not doing any work-out.
- At the age of 65 years or older than this are at higher risk of developing constipation.
- Pregnant ladies mostly have constipation due to hormonal changes & pressure on intestines.
- Certain medical condition like spinal cord injuries, fractures, etc that makes your bowel movement difficult.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Constipation?
In Ayurveda Constipation is known as “Vibandh” that causes disturbance of vata dosha in the body. The undigested food & occult stool accumulates in the stomach & large intestines that ultimately lead to constipation. When we don’t have take proper care of food & our health such type of condition take place.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Constipation?
In Ayurveda there are various herbs that treat constipation from its root cause without causing any side-effects to the body. The herbs like Amala, Haritaki, Bibhitaki, Senna, Eranda, etc gives effective results. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre introduces a kit known as “Colon Cleanse Kit” for overall treatment of constipation. This kit comprises four products that are formulated from various herbs.
Also Read : Home Remedies for Constipation
All products description in detail:
1. Sheet Dhara Syrup:
This herbal syrup is prepared from ingredients such as ajwain satav, mushak kapoor, peppermint, etc. This syrup naturally relieve the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc. The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain, & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
Also Read : How to Treat Constipation in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies?
2. Liver Care Tablet:
These tablet are purely ayurvedic formulation. It maintains the proper functioning of the liver and stimulate the growth of new liver cells. Liver Care Tablets contains Ingredients like Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kutaki(Picrorhiza kurroa), Bhumi amla( phyllanthus niruri), Giloy(Tinopora Cordifolia), Yavakshar( Hordeum vulgare), Imli Kshar( Tamarindus indica), Mukta Shukta pisti etc. These herbs balances excess Pitta Dosha and helps in problems like abdominal bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, indigestion, relieves constipation and reduce abdominal discomfort.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
3. Panchasakar churna:
Panchasakar churna is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of mainly five ingredients as its name describes. This medicine is known to have properties like laxatives and purgatives etc. The Churna contains ingredients such as Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Trivrith (Operculina turpethum), Pippali (Piper longum), and Sauvarchala lavana. It decreases the abdominal pain, bloating, constipation that maintains a healthy colon and supports the overall health of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 teaspoonful with Lukewarm water at bedtime.
4. Amrit Ras:
Amrit Ras is very beneficial to rejuvenate the body, mind, and soul. It balances and improves metabolism. Amrit Ras is caffeine free and contains vitamin A, B, B12, C, E, Calcium, Iron, and Zinc, Folic acid, so as to maintain healthy bones, skin, and muscles. It contains ingredients such as –Amla, Harad, Bibhitaki, Trivrit, Ghrit Kumari, & Giloy that are rich in anti-oxidants & eliminate damaging free radicals from the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take 20 ml twice daily with an equal amount of water.
5. Triphala capsules:
These capsules are purely Ayurvedic formulation made up of three herbs which are Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica). These herbs show antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, laxative, immune-modulator properties. The capsules provide effective result in Constipation, Diabetes, Skin disorders, Cancer, Weight loss, abdominal cramps, and improves digestion.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 capsules twice daily.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment for Constipation?
Panchakarma provides the good & effective treatment along with the ayurvedic medicines mentioned above. In this treatment there are different types of therapies that cleanse your bowel & in future you will not get such type of complaints. The various therapies recommended to constipation patients are:
- Virechan: In this procedure, firstly medicated ghrita is given to the patients after that sarvanga sevda is given. At last some medication is given for therapeutic purgation. It helps in cleansing of your colon & your digestive system improves.
- Basti: In this procedure, anuvasana basti with dashmoola taila or pippalyadi taila is administered to the constipated patients. Sometimes Niruha basti containing dashmoola kwath, honey, saindhav lavana, & pippalyadi taila is give to the constipated patients.
- Phalavarti: In this procedure, with the help of medicated suppositories constipation is treated easily.
Healthy Tips & Diet in Constipation
- Drink plenty of water & juices.
- Avoid eat fast & processed food items.
- Eat a diet rich in fiber like apple, papaya, carrot, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, spinach, tomato, turnip, radish, ripe banana, green leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts, etc.
- Drink green coconut water daily.
- Avoid white rice instead of that you can take brown rice.
- Cold drinks, alcohol, meat, fried food, other beverages, ice creams, smoking, etc should be avoided.
- Take 2 to 3 figs soaked in a glass of water overnight. Early in the morning eat this on an empty stomach.
- In a glass of cow’s milk add a teaspoonful of castor oil & drink it at bed time.
- Do perform yoga poses like uttanasana, halasana, mayurasana, balasana, baddha konasana, pawanmuktasana, mandukasana, kumarasana, vakrasana, sarvangasana, etc.
- Also perform meditation to keep you stress free in constipation.
- You can also drink half cup of radish juice.
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.