The Kidneys and Urinary System
The kidneys are the fist-size organs of the urinary system that balances the body’s fluid.
Most of the people normally have two kidneys, one on each side of the spine behind the liver, pancreas, and intestines.
Healthy kidneys work by eliminating the harmful wastes from the blood and pass out in the urine. These organs maintain the levels of sodium, potassium, and calcium in the blood.
Other parts of the urinary tract are- ureters, urethra, and bladder. Kidneys produce urine from water and the body’s waste products.
This urine travels down through the ureters into the bladder, where it gets stored and then it is excreted through the urethra.
What are Kidney Stones?
Urine contains various dissolved minerals as well as salts and when these are present in high levels, then it results in the formation of hard deposits called kidney stones.
Kidney stones are also called renal calculi, these are solid masses that are made up of crystals.
Kidney stones are small in size but can grow larger, even filling the inner hollow structures of the kidney.
Sometimes these stones do not cause any symptoms and remain in the kidneys for a longer period.
These renal stones travel down through the ureter (the tube between the kidney and the bladder) and reaches the bladder from where it is passed out of the body through the urine. When it gets stuck in the ureter, it blocks the flow of urine through the kidney and causes pain.
What are the types of kidney stones?
Types of kidney stones include:
- Calcium stones: Calcium stones are the most common type and are present usually in the form of calcium oxalate. Oxalate is a natural substance found in food and it is also produced by the liver. Some fruits, vegetables, nuts, and chocolates contain high oxalate content. These can also occur in the form of calcium phosphate and is present in various metabolic conditions, such as renal tubular acidosis.
- Struvite stones. Struvite stones result from the urinary tract infection. By the time these can grow quickly and become quite large with few symptoms or little warning.
- Uric acid stones. Uric acid stones are mostly found in those patients who drink enough fluids, eat a high-rich protein diet, and who are suffering from gout. Genetic factors also increase the risk of uric acid stones.
- Cystine stones. The formation of cysteine stones in the kidneys is hereditary as it causes the kidneys to excrete too much of certain amino acids (cystinuria).
What are the causes of kidney stones?
The main cause of kidney stones is unknown but there are several factors may increase the risk.
What are the symptoms of kidney stones?
Most of the kidney stones do not cause any symptoms. But if the stones move around within the kidney or pass into the ureter then the patient may experience various signs and symptoms:
- Severe back pain and pain below the ribs
- Pain radiating towards the lower abdomen and groin
- Intense pain
- Painful micturition
- Pink, red or brownish colored urine
- Cloudy or foul-smelling urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urgency to pass urine
- Urinating more often than usual
- Fever and chills if an infection is present
- Urinating small amounts
Immediate medical attention is needed if the patient experience:
- Severe pain and can’t even sit still or find a comfortable position
- Pain accompanied by nausea as well as vomiting
- Pain accompanied by fever and chills
- Bloody urine
- Difficulty in passing urine
What are the risk factors for kidney stones?
Various risk factors that increase the risk of developing kidney stones include:
Family or personal history: Having stones to a family member, also increased the risk of developing another.
Dehydration. Not drinking enough water each day may also increase the risk of kidney stones. Warm climate and excessive sweating put on a higher risk than others.
Certain diet: Eating diet rich in protein, sodium (salt) and sugar may increase the risk of kidney stones.
Being obese: High body mass index (BMI), and excessive weight gain increases the risk of kidney stones.
Medical conditions: Various diseases that may increase the risk of kidney stones include cystinuria, renal tubular acidosis, hyperparathyroidism, and some urinary tract infections.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for kidney stones?
Chandigarh Ayurved Center is providing you a very effective and wonderful herbal kit for treating kidney stones that mainly work on the root cause of the disease.
This kit will naturally balance the vitiated doshas and will improve the functioning of kidneys.
This kit contains:
- Detox premium powder
Detox premium powder is an herbal formulation that has antifungal, antibacterial and antibacterial properties.
It comprises of ingredients like akik pishti, jahar mohra pishti, kamdudha ras, moti pishti, sutshekhar ras, gandhak Rasayana, giloy stav, etc. which are helpful in balancing the Vata, pitta and kapha dosha in the body.
This powder also shows calming and cooling effect on the body and treats other kidney-related symptoms like dysuria, cramps, nausea, fever, vomiting, etc.
Dosage: Take 1 sachet twice daily with normal water.
- UTI care tablet
UTI care tablet is a purely ayurvedic formulation for kidney stones that works on the root cause of the chronic renal disease because it contains various effective ingredients like yav kashar, naushadar, swaran garik, and kalmi shora.
These tablets reduce the burning and frequent micturition, urine incontinence, pain and eliminate the harmful kidney stones from the body through urine. It also shows diuretic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Dosage: One tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Gokshuradi guggul
Gokshuradi guggul is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that has been used in Ayurveda for renal stones for many ages in various health-related conditions like kidney disease and various urinary related disorders.
It consists of various ingredients like shuddha guggul, gokshur, haritaki, bibhitaki, etc.
These ingredients improve kidney functions and also shows diuretic properties by increasing the production of urine in the body.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
- Kidney care churna
As the name suggests, kidney care churna is a herbo-mineral formulation which improves the kidney functioning by reducing urea and creatinine level. As per Ayurveda, it reduces the kapha and pitta dosha in the body.
The main ingredients are manjistha, bhumiamla and punarnava that shows anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic properties.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice daily with normal water.