Kidney stones are one of the most common disorders of urinary tract.
Normally, urine contains certain factors that inhibit stone building substances like magnesium, citrate, pyrophosphate etc from forming crystals.
Deficiency in these protective substances result in the formation of crystals. Changes in the pH of the urine, that causes acid or alkaline imbalances, can also affect one precipitation.
Kidney stones are generally formed by calcium, phosphates or oxalates.
Kidney stones may be caused due to the following causes:
- Crystallization of the chemicals and minerals present in urine leads to chronic kidney stones
- Urinary tract infection
- Blockage of the urinary tract
- Due to overdosage of vitamin D
- Due to mineral imbalance
- Kidney disease
- Dehydration or Diarrhea
- Improper dietary habits such as consuming more animal proteins, taking in less fibre and fluids.
- People who work under high-stress conditions
- People with high blood pressure
- Certain diuretics or calcium based antacids may also increase the risk of forming chronic kidney stones disease.
- People with gout
Patient suffering from kidney stones experiences the following symptoms:
- Urine turns brown or red due to the presence of blood
- Urgent Urge to urinate
- Unbearable pain in the flanks radiating towards urethra
- Bleeding through the urinary tract
- Fever with chills
- Burning sensation while urinating
AYURVEDIC VIEW AND TREATMENT FOR KIDNEY STONES
As per Ayurveda, Kidney stones are formed in the body due to improper diet and lifestyle that leads to the aggravation of all the three doshas mainly vata dosha and the condition is known as Vrikka Ashmari.
It creates a type of dryness in the body because of which the chemicals in the form of toxins start accumulating, that ultimately takes the shape of a stone leading to infections in the kidney and resulting in stages of kidney failure.
At times the entire kidney is filled with the stones and it becomes calcified. Kidney stops functioning and in case if urine is not excreted in the quanity it should be, then the condition of uremia sets in and hence causes complications.
Single herbs useful in this condition are:
- Pashan bheda
Ayurvedic formulations recommended in case of vrikka ashmari are:
- Gokshuradi Guggulu
- Gokshuradi Churna
- Varunadi Kshaya
- Shilajeet Vati
- Yavakshara Churna
- Panchguna Churna
- Chandra Prabha Vati
- Ber Pathar Bhasma
- Kshara Parpati
DIET AND LIFESTYLE
- Drink enough water every day. Drink atleast 4-5 litres of water each day to prevent yourself from catching any kidney disease.
- Avoid eating sour, heavy and dry foods.
- Increase the intake of liquids in your diet like water, juice, soup and lime water.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, cold drinks and pickles.
- Avoid suppressing the urge to urinate and defecate.
- Increase the intake of barley, ginger, horse gram and brown rice in your diet.
- Eat watermelon pr drink its juice. This helps in flushing out stones from the kidney. The water and potassium content of the watermelon helps in regulating and maintaining the level of acid present in the urine thereby keeps the kidney healthy even if you are not living with any chronic kidney disease.
- Lemon juice contains citric acid that helps to break down the calcium-based kidney stones. Drinking this juice increases the volume of urination which is really good for those having kidney stones relieving them from facing chronic kidney stone pain.
- Heat 60 grams of kidney beans in four litres of water for about 4-5 hours. Strain the liquid and allow it to cool. Drink one glass of this liquid once every two hours in a day.
- Take one cup of horse gram and add half litre of water. Heat the mixture till it reduces to one fifth. Strain and collect the soup. Add two tablespoons of crushed pomegranate seeds to this and mix well. Drink this once a day.
- Take 10-15 basil leaves and crush them to prepare the paste. Take one teaspoon of this paste, press on a sieve and extract its juice. Add one teaspoon of honey to it and mix well. Drink this once a day.
- Soak two teaspoons of radish seeds in a glass of water. Boil and reduce this to half. Strain and drink half cup of this two times a day. This helps in dissolving the ckd kidney stones.
Click Here to consult Vaidya Jagjit Singh
Vaidya Jagjit Singh is a 3rd generation Ayurved physician from his family and is the remarkable person responsible for setting up of the Chandigarh Ayurved and Panchkarma Centre in sector 32 and 22, Chandigarh and Zirakpur and he is also the first founder member of Guru Ravidas Ayurved University. He has done his B.A.M.S. from Shri Dhanwantri Ayurvedic College, Chandigarh. He is an admirable ayurvedic physician with specialization in Chronic ailments.