In Ayurveda mukhdushika is disease in which there is appearance of papules on face which resembles the sprouts on the bark of Shalmali plant, which occurs due to the vitiated Kapha, vata dosha and Rakt dhatu. It is also called Yauvan Pidika. It can be corelated to Acne vulgaris explained in modern science
Causative factors of Mukhdushika
- Time and age factors
- Tarunya or Young age
- Vasant ritu(Blossom), Grishma ritu(summers), Sharad ritu(
- Aharaj(Food factors)
- Heavy meal or food hard to digest
- Excessive spicy, sweet food
- Oily food, milk and milk products
- Excessive Alcohol consumption
- Viharaj (Activities or lifestyle)
- Holding natural urges
- Waking up all night
- Excess sleeping
- Excessive sunbath
- Mansik (Mind/stress factors)
- Behavioral changes
- Painful eruptions, pain may be acute or mild
- Eruptions are thick and hard
- Burning sensation and redness
- secretion from the eruptions
LINE OF TREATMENT
- Vaman(Emesis) : It is the best procedure to subside Kaphaj abnormalities. It expels excessive accumulated kapha out from the body.
- Virechan (Purgation) : This therapy is mainly used in Pitta vikaras. As Rakt properties are analogous to Pitta dosha so purgation is effective in Raktaj disorders. It expels excessive pitta from the body
- Nasya : Gotukola(Centella asiatica) Nasya for 3days followed by application of Tiladilepa for 14days.
- Raktamokshana : With Jaloka or Leech therapy. Leech sucks the Dushit rakta(toxins present in blood or infected blood) from our body and helps cure acne.
If these treatment does not work then there are surgical and para surgical procedures like Siravedh(Venesection to remove infected blood), Chhedan(Excision), Agnikarma(Cautery) that are used in severe cases.
SHAMAN CHIKITSA :
It includes both oral intake of medicines like pills, syrups, powder, decoction which have anti inflammatory, anti bacterial properties and balance vitiated doshas and local application of lepas and oils.
Few examples of oral medicines :
- Arogyavardhini vati
- Brihatmanjishthadi kwath
- Panchtikta ghrit guggulu
- Chitrakadi vati
- Gandhak rasayan
- Khadiradi vati
Lepas are anti inflammatory, anti bacterial, treats acne and even enhances the complexion.
In Ayurveda lepas are usually given in oily skin and Tailas are given in dry skin patients.
Tailas also have wound healing properties and reduces the scar formation.
Few lepas and oils are :
- Lodhradi lep
- Arjunadi lep
- Sidharthadi lep
- Kumkumadi tail
- Haridradi tail
- Manjishthadi tail
Procedure for Lepa application : Purva karma – Wash the face with normal water.
Pradhan karma – Take the required quantity of powder of the herbs, mix it with water to make a paste. Apply it all over the face in Pratilom gati.The lepa should be of uniform thickness of one forth of patient’s own thumb ( about 1/4th of an inch). Keep it for 30mins or till it dries.
Pashchat karma : Wash the face with normal water. Avoid excessive exposure to sun during the treatment.
Few Home Remedies for Mukhdushika
- Amla Juice : Drink Amla juice everyday. It is rich in vitamin C. Protects the skin from free radicals as it is a natural anti oxidant.
- Powdered mixture of coriander seeds, fennel, basil, turmeric, and amla in equal parts. All of these herbs are packed with anti oxidants, so they prevent inflammation in our skin. Take this powder with warm water twice daily
- Concoction of Kutaki, Guduchi, Shatavari : All 3 herbs should be mixed in equal quantity. Take the mixture with warm water 2 times a day after meals
- Melons : Rub melon paste on your face before sleeping at night, leave it over night. It is pitta pacifying and has cooling effects. It will help with redness and burning.
- Apply mixture of Turmeric and sandalwood mixed with rose water on the affected area and leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water
- Dry grapes or raisins are very good cooling agents. Soak 30-40 raisin in water overnight, crush them in the morning and have them empty stomach.
- Papaya is a great remedy for acne. Increase it in your diet and apply its paste with rose water on face. Let it stay for 15mins then wash it off with water.
- Food items with bitter taste like Guduchi, Patol, methika, bitter gourd
- Leafy green vegetables
- Eat more fresh fruits
- Apply aloe vera gel on face
- 4-5litres of water intake per day
- Sleeping on time(atleast 8hours of sleep)
- Drink a glass of warm water first thing in the morning. It helps with the bowel movements. Triphala powder with lukewarm water helps clear the bowel.
- Practice yoga and Pranayama : Alternate breathing, Sheetali pranayam, matsyasana, Sarvangasana, bhujang asana. This will help relieve stress and anxiety. Sheetali pranayam pacifies pitta.
- Spicy, oily, pungent food
- Fast food, junk food, processed food
- smoking, tobAcco chewing, excessive alcohol consumption
- Irritant cosmetics
- Acne lesions must be left untouched(Don’t squeeze the eruptions as it will spread the infection)
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.