- IBS-C or Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation is a chronic gastrointestinal disorder that causes frequent bloating, abdominal pain, and infrequent stools that are hard to pass.
- IBS-C is not life threatening but can be extremely uncomfortable and interfere with your day-to-day activities.
- Unfortunately in modern science there’s no cure, so treatment is done symptomatically.
- It can affect the person of all age group but it most often develops in young adults. Women are affected more often than the men.
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Irritable bowel syndrome comprises of pure herbal formulation and also along with some changes in the diet and lifestyle.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS-
- Painful bloating
- Excessive gas
- Feelings of a rock or block in your stomach
- Infrequent bowel movements (three or less per week)
- Stools that are more hard or lumpy
- Feeling to incomplete evacuation.
- Your bloating and pain may go away temporarily, once you do have a bowel movement.
- Feeling of tiredness
Causes of IBS-C
The exact cause of IBS-C is unknown. Some possible causes are-
- Genetic- If you have a family history with IBS then chances of getting this problem is high.
- Certain bacterial infection, as IBS carries underlying inflammation in the GI tract.
- Psychological or brain-gut relationship may be altered as a result of which brain isn’t providing the right signals to regulate intestinal movements.
- Irregular eating habits
- Suppression of natural urges
- Stress and Anxiety
- Excessive eating or eating of Processed or junk food items, packaged food etc.
AYURVEDA VIEW ON IBS-C
According to Ayurveda perspective, IBS-C is described as ‘Grahani Roga’. In this disease there is disturbance in the functions of the bowels and intestines.
Grahani or duodenum is the seat of Agni or digestive fire and here food undergoes digestion process. After the digestion of food is complete, then it passes to the next part of the digestive tract for absorption, but if there is Manda Agni or weak digestive fire, then the food is not completely digested and passes in undigested form. This undigested food particles are termed as Ama or the toxins.
These Aama or toxins will further combine with normal food leading to foul smelling stools.
These toxins are the main reason behind IBS-C. If it is not treated then it may give rise to other diseases.
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with constipation
IBS CARE KIT
- Sootshekhar rasa
- Bilva majja
- Shankha bhasma
- Kapardika bhasma etc.
- It helps to balances pitta dosha in the body.
- Regular use of these tablets helps to improve digestion
- Enhances appetite
- Reduces acidity
- Prevents gastric ulcers
- Reduces heartburn
- Acts as a laxative
- Reduces pain in the abdomen, etc.
Recommended Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with normal water.
Detox Standard Powder-
- Shankh bhasma
- Sutshekhar ras
- Parwal pishti
- Shukta pishti
- Kamdudha ras
- Shwet parpati
- It gives calming effect on the stomach.
- These sachets have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antacid like properties.
- It mainly affects in lowering the pitta dosha of the body and maintains proper digestion of the body.
Recommended Dosage: Take one sachet twice daily with normal water.
- Parpati etc.
- It helps to maintain the Digestive system and in the body.
- This syrup helps in Digestion, Supports the Digestive system and maintains the doshas in our body.
- It also helps to remove out impurities or ama from the body.
- It helps to reduce the Acidity, Detoxify the blood and also supports the body health.
- It shows Antacid, Digestive, Anti-inflammatory, Analgesic, Expectorant, and Antioxidant properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take 2 teaspoonful twice daily.
- Saindhavan Lavana (Rock Salt)
- Swarnapatri (Cassia angustifolia)
- Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa)
- Shunti (Zingiber officinale)
- Balaharitaki (Terminalia chebula).
- The above combination deal with problems like loss of appetite, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation, weak digestion, etc.
- It is best used for Ayurvedic treatment of Constipation.
Recommended Dosage: Take a half teaspoon of this churna twice daily with normal water.
Kutaj Ghan Vati
Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Kutaj Ghan vati is purely herbal formulation. It is very useful in curing diarrhea, intestinal infection, and dysentery.
- These herbal tablets deal with all signs & symptoms related to diarrhea patients.
- It manages the symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, general weakness, fatigue, etc.
- The herbs in these tablets show antioxidant, anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory, etc properties.
Recommended Dosage: Take two tablets twice a day before meal with water.
Sheet Dhara Syrup
- Ajwain satava
- Mushak kapoor
- Peppermint, etc
- It naturally relieves the symptoms like bloating, blenching, nausea, vomiting, feeling of discomfort, etc.
- The regular use of this herbal syrup neutralizes the high acid content, reduces abdominal pain & cramps.
Recommended dosage: Take half teaspoonful of this syrup in half a cup of water. Drink this mixture twice daily on an empty stomach.
Digestion care tablet
This tablet is unique blend of best digestive herbs like
- Kutaz chal
- Shankh bhasm
- Piper mint
- It helps to balance the natural Ph. level in the stomach.
- Aids digestion of all types of food.
- The herbs present in this control acidity, gas, flatulence, and constipation. These complex problems are the root cause of all diseases.
- If the digestive system is proper it leads to proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body.
- As per Ayurveda digestive disorders are due to the imbalance of Pitta doshas. Ama formation leads to digestive disorders.
Dosage: Take 1 tablet twice daily with plain water
Dr. Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1 Lakh Plus patients worldwide.