Vata dosha is composed of these two elements “air” and “sky”. Vata or Vayu Dosha has been considered the most important of the three doshas. Any process associated with motion in our body is possible only due to Vata. In Charaka Samhita, Vayu has been considered the only fire enhancer, motivator of all senses and center of enthusiasm. The main place of Vata is in the stomach and intestine.
Vata has a special quality of Yogavahita or addition. This means that it merges with other doshas and also carries their qualities. For example, when it is found with Pitta dosha, it gets dah, heat, and when mixed with phlegm, it gets cold and wetness.
Diseases of Vata
Ayurveda outlines 80 diseases implicated by the aggravation of wind
- NAKHBHEDHA (Splitting of nails)
- VIPADIKA (Cracking feet)
- PADA SHOOLA (Pain in the feet)
- PADA BHRAMSHA (Foot drop, collapsed instep)
- PADA SUPTATA (Numbness in the feet)
- VATA KHUDDATA (Club foot)
- GULPHA GRAHA (Stiff ankles)
- PINDIKODVESHTANA (Cramps in the calf muscles)
- GRIDRASI (Sciatica)
- JANU BHEDA (Bow leggedness, janu varum)
- JANUVISHLESHA (Knock knees, janu valgum)
- URUSTAMBHA (Stiffness and fullness in the thighs)
- URUSADA (Pain and weakness in the thighs)
- PANGULYA (Paraplegia)
- GUDA BHRAMSA (Rectal prolapse)
- GUDARTI (Tenesmus)
- VRUSHANAKSHEPA (Scrotal pain)
- SHEPHA STAMBHA (Stiffness in the penis)
- VANKSHANA ANAHA (Fullness in the groin)
- SHRONI BHEDA (Pelvic pain)
- VIDHEDA (Hard stools)
- UDAVARTA (Abdominal distension with constipation)
- KHANJATVA (Lameness)
- KUBJATVA (kyphosis)
- VAMANATAVA (Dwarfism, Gigantism)
- TRIKAGRAHA (Pain and stiffness in the sacroiliac joint)
- PRSISTAGRAHA (Stiffness in the back)
- PARSHVA MARDA (Chest pain)
- UDARAVESHTA (Spasmodic abdominal pain)
- HRIT MOHA (Bradycardia)
- HRIT DRAVA (Tachycardia/heart palpitations)
- VAKSHA – UPARODHA (A rubbing chest pain)
- VAKSHA-UPARODHA (Impairment of thoracic movement)
- VAKSHASTODA (Pricking chest pain)
- BAHU SHOSHA (Atrophy of the arms)
- GREEVA STAMBHA (Stiffness in the neck)
- MANYASTAMBHA (Torticollis)
- KANTHODDHVAMSA ( Hoarseness of voice)
- HANU BHEDA (Jaw pain)
- OSTHA BHEDA (Lip pain)
- AKSHI BHEDA (Eye pain)
- DANTA BHEDA (Toothache)
- DANTA SHAITHILYA (Loose teeth)
- MOOKATVA (Dampness)
- VAK SANGA (Stalling speech)
- KASHAYA ASYATA (An astringent taste in the mouth)
- MUKHA SHOSHA (Dryness in the mouth)
- ARASAJNATA (Ageusia – LOSS OF TASTE )
- GHRANA NASHA (Anosmia – LOSS OF SMELL FUNCTION)
- KARNA SHOOLA (Earache)
- ASHABDA SHRAVANA (Tinnitus)
- UCCHAIH SHRUTI (Hard of hearing, hearing loss, hearing impairment)
- BADHIRYA (Deafness)
- VARTMA SAMKOCHA (Ptosis of the eyelids)
- VARTMA SAMKOCHA (Entropion)
- TIMIRA (Amaurosis- A TYPE OF VISION LOSS )
- AKSHI SHOOLA (Pain in the eyes)
- AKSHI VYUDASA (Ptosis of the eyeballs)
- BHRU VYUDASA (Ptosis of the eyebrows)
- SHANKHA BHEDA (Pain in the temporal region)
- LALATA BHEDA (Pain in the frontal region of the head)
- SHIRO RUK (Headaches)
- KESHA BHUMI SPHUTANA (Dandruff)
- ARDITA (Facial paralysis)
- EKANGA ROGA (Monoplegia)
- SARVANGA ROGA (Polyplegia)
- PAKSHAVAHA (Hemiplegia)
- AKSHEPAKA (Clonic seizures)
- DANDAKA (Tonic seizures)
- TAMA (Fainting, giddiness)
- VEPATHU (Tremours)
- JRUMBHA (Yawning)
- HIKKA (Hiccups)
- VISHAADA (Asthenia- WEAKNESS / DEPRESSION )
- ATI PRALAPA (Delirium, excessive talking)
- RAUKSHAYA (Dryness, Hardness)
- SHYAVA ARUNAAVA BHASATA (Dusky dark appearance)
- ASVAPNA (Insomnia)
- ANAVASTHITA (An unstable mind)
- BHRAMA (DIZZINESS)
DIET TO BE FOLLOWED DURING VATA VYADHI :-
1 Eat ghee, oil and fat items.
2 Eat things made of wheat, sesame, ginger, garlic and jaggery.
3 Eat salted buttermilk, butter, fresh cheese, boiled cow’s milk.
4 Eat dry fruits fried in ghee or soaked almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds in water.
5 Take regular consumption of vegetables like cucumber, carrot, beet, spinach, sweet potato.
6 Eat moong dal, rajma, soya milk.
THINGS TO BE AVOID DURING VATA VYADHI :-
1 Avoid consumption of whole grains such as millet, barley, corn, brown rice etc.
2 Avoid any kind of cabbage such as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc.
3 Do not drink cold beverages like cold coffee, black tea, green tea, fruit juice etc. during winter.
4 Do not consume pears, raw bananas etc.
HOME REMEDIES FOR VATA VYADHI :-
According to experts, due to cold temperature, people complain of vata dosha. At the same time, sunlight helps to keep the body warm as well as warming the temperature of the atmosphere, which can control the balance of Vata in the body
2. Drink water in a copper vessel
Copper is considered helpful in removing impurities in the body. In addition, it also helps to speed up the process of the formation of special chemicals required in the body, which can prove to be helpful in removing many problems related to gout. Some properties of copper are also found in the water kept in a copper vessel. For this reason, it can be said that water kept in a copper vessel can help to overcome the problems associated with gout .
Cinnamon can also be used to treat gout , Vata dosha also includes many stomach related problems. At the same time, cinnamon has been considered beneficial for many stomach problems. For this reason, it can be assumed that cinnamon may be beneficial to a great extent in stomach problems related to vata dosha
Garlic can also prove to be beneficial in the treatment of gout. Actually, garlic is hot and is considered beneficial for stomach problems. At the same time it helps in the absorption of food and also helps in strengthening digestion. At the same time, it can help control the balance between Vata, Pitta and Kapha by increasing the effect of Vata. For this reason it can be assumed that the use of garlic may prove beneficial in the defects caused by lack of Vata .
5. Turmeric and milk
Consuming turmeric with hot milk can prevent many disorders related to vata dosha. According to experts, consuming hot milk relieves the problem of excess sleep due to increase in vata . At the same time, turmeric plays an important role in maintaining the balance of Vata, Pitta and Kapha . For this reason, it can be believed that the use of hot milk with turmeric as a treatment for gout can be an effective remedy before bedtime.
6 The fears of gout can be reduced by regularizing the time of eating along with sleeping and waking time.
7 Choose nutritious foods for consumption.
8 Consume the foods with cold effect in food.
9 Stay away from the cold environment and try to keep yourself warm.
10 Massage with almond or jojoba oil before bathing, so that the skin moisture remains intact.
11 Use a good moisturizer after bathing.
12 Regular yoga practice can also keep you away from problems associated with gout.
13 Exercise regularly or make a habit of walking for some time in the morning.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.