Menopause is an intermittent period characterized by many overlapping stages. Menopause generally sets in 3 stages. The first stage is – Perimenopause, followed by a second stage – Menopause and then final stage – Post menopausal.
Perimenopause – It is the time when ovulation and fertility reduce considerably and the hormone levels show a sharp decline.
Menopause – It is when a woman stops having her menstrual periods and the ovaries stop releasing eggs.
Post menopause – This time starts from the last period to the end of a woman’s life.
Menopause is not a disease or a condition, it is the natural process when a woman ceases to be fertile or menstruate. A woman enters in perimenopausal age around 45-47 years. Natural menopause occurs at or after 40.
What are the Causes of Menopause?
Menopause can result from various causes like –
- Natural decline of reproductive hormones
- Primary ovarian insufficiency
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Hysterectomy etc
What are the Symptoms of Menopause?
Common symptoms of menopause include-
- Irregular periods
- Lower fertility
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings
- Vaginal dryness
- Disturbed sleep
- Emotional changes
- Breast shrinkage
- Night sweats, etc.
What is an Ayurvedic view on Menopause?
In Ayurveda, it is termed as “Rajonivritti”. Menopause is a culmination of all three doshas of the women’s body. The menses increase the Pitta dosha, while the woman may gain weight during this time, which indicates the Kapha imbalance. Since the woman may become moody and even lose her sleep during menopause, there is a strong indication of Vata dosha.
- Vata type menopausal symptoms include depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc.
- Pitta type menopausal symptoms are often angry and mainly suffer hot flashes.
- Kapha type menopausal symptoms include weight gain, feeling of mental, and physical heaviness.
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment of Menopause?
Ayurved provides the best herbs that will treat menopause with natural herbs. Chandigarh Ayurved Centre comprises of “Menopause Care Kit” that will deal with all the signs & symptoms of menopause.
Description of the Kit is given below
1. Stri- Poshak Syrup
Stri Poshak Syrup is very beneficial in curing woman’s physical weakness, anemia etc. It includes – Ashok chall (Saraca asoca), Lodhar chall (Symlocos racemosa), Khadir chall (Acacia catechu), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Daru Haldi (Berberis aristata), etc. The ingredients used in this syrup mainly balance the Pitta and Kapha doshas. It helps to get relieve from hot flashes, disturbed sleep, abdominal discomfort, mood elevation, excess sweating, tiredness, breast tenderness, etc.
Recommended Dosage– Take 2 teaspoonful twice a day with normal water.
2. Stri-Poshak Capsules
Stri – Poshak capsules perfectly balances Kapha and Pitta dosha. These capsules contain ingredients like – Ashok chall (Saraca asoca), Lodhar chall (Symlocos racemosa), Khadir chall (Acacia catechu), Aamlaki (Phylanthus emblica), Nagkesar (Mesua ferrea), Supari (Areca), etc. These capsules are very beneficial for maintaining the women’s health. These capsules are used in irregular menstrual periods, pelvic pain, endometrial hyperplasia, and endometrial cancer. The capsules are very effective in the management of peri-menopausal signs and symptoms.
Recommended Dosage – Take 2 capsules twice a day with normal water.
3. Rajahpravartini Vati
These tablets show main effects on uterus and ovulation. The vati contains –Tankan (Borax), Ramatha (Asa foetida), Kaseesa (Purified blue vitriole), etc. It balances the vata and kapha dosha. This tablet is very beneficial in premature menopause. It has been proved effective in mental and physical wellbeing of females and improves the whole reproductive system. This helps to take care of improper flow of menstruation along with vaginal dryness, poor bladder control, etc. These tablets also strengthen the uterus muscle.
Recommended Dosage –Take 2 tablets twice a day with normal water.
4. Ashwagandha Avaleha
Ashwagandha Avleha mainly acts on Vata Dosha. It contains ingredients such as –Milk, Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shuddha Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans), Kesar (Crocus sativus), Mochras (Bombax malabaricum), Khadira (Acacia catechu) etc. Ashwagandha Avaleha improves the physical strength, physical endurance capacity, stamina, vigor, and vitality. It is also very beneficial for lower backache, insomnia, depression, and anxiety.
Recommended Dosage– Take 1 teaspoonful twice a day with milk.
What is the Panchakarma Treatment of Menopause?
Ayurvedic treatments are individualized, but they usually consist of specific dietary guidelines, herbal supplements, meditation, detoxification, etc. Panchakarma is one of the most effective ways to cleanse the body and re-establish the balance. Chandigarh Ayurveda Center provides the best therapy that will reduce the symptoms of menopause.
- Abhyangha – Daily massage therapy is designed to loosen and mobilize the toxins which helps in open up all the channels. This therapy provides relaxation and helps in improving the sleep, mood swings and keeps the mind relax.
- Udvartana – In this a paste made primarily of chickpeas and heated sesame oil is applied all over the body and massage it by gentle hands. They helps in improving the muscle tone.
- Shirodhara – In this a warm oil was poured in a thin, steady stream back and forth over the forehead for about 20-30 minutes. Starting out very warm, the oil application ends up exquisitely cool. It helps to relieve all the negativity, worries, mental junk etc.
- Shasti shali pinda sweda – It is done by using hot milk mixed with rice and herbs. The massage is done with the help of bolus (basically an udder-like object filled with fluid). This provide strength to the muscles.
What are the Healthy Tips and Diet of Menopause?
- Phytoestrogens and healthy fats, such as omega 3 fatty acid from fish can help to reduce the menopause symptoms.
- The decline in estrogen levels during menopause can increase women’s risk of fracture. Dairy products such as, milk, yogurt, cheese, products contain calcium, phosphorus, potassium are essential.
- Whole grains are high in nutrients, including fiber and vitamin B such as thiamine, niacin, riboflavin are effective in menopause.
- Cruciferous vegetables are especially helpful for post-menopausal women. Dark berries may also benefit in those women who are going through menopause.
- Foods that naturally contain phytoestrogens include soybean, peanuts, green and black tea, grapes, plums are very effective in the menopausal condition.
- Increase the intake of iron. Iron is found in lean red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts and enriched grain products.
- Drink plenty of water that fulfills the daily requirements.
- If you’re having hot flashes during menopause, you may avoid certain ‘’trigger’’ foods and drinks, like spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine.
- Yoga for menopause – Many women have found that yoga including restorative and supportive poses, can ameliorate the undesirable side effects of menopause, including hot flashes, mood swings and more.
Vaidya Karanvir Singh is the younger Vaidya in Chandigarh Ayurved & Panchakarma Centre. He is the fourth generation in his family who is practicing as a general consultant in Ayurved & Panchakarma treatment at Chandigarh. In his practice, he had treated more than 1000 plus patients worldwide.